Shogen

Question on Alt Comparison

Currently you guys(DC Power) offer 2 models for the 2003 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. variant...

Question 1: Are there any other models that have not been applied to your site? Irragi and Ohio have many different version of similar output ranges and I was curious if maybe you offered more?

Question 2: I did the comparison of the 2 different models and I was thrown off by something:

Alternator_comparison_DCPower.jpg

So why is the output at idle higher on the lower end model? Seems like that model is working closer to max than the other and potentially "not last as long" or "do more work constantly"?

Question 3: (might be on your site already) What is the lead time or processing time, for example if I ordered one on Monday?

Thanks for your time Kyle. I know I am new to the community, but I know that having a company's involvement with its customers is a great satisfaction and is a reason why I am not considering the other brands.(not knocking them)

Compromise. In order to obtain a higher maximum amperage output, idle amperage decrease, and vice versa.

understandable... I was waiting for a similar response... thanks Duran. If Kyle wants to chime in and second that I will be a little happier inside... :woot:

Also would like to know the possible or tested output for idle... Reason why I ask is that my car on the meter is idling around 500-700 rpm I believe..

Okay, just FYI that I have a 2002 Toyota Camry 4cyl as well. So we've done quite the testing on it! So here's what it boils down to:

The industry rates the alternator output at idle at 2,400-2,500 alternator RPMs. Now the problem with that is our car idles at about 600~ engine RPMs and with the small crank pulley diameter (industry standard is usually based on a GM V8 with a 7.75 inch crank pulley, not like the 6 inch crank pulley in our cars.) This equates to about 2,000 alternator RPMs with the A/C WITH an overdrive pulley on the alternator and NOT what everyone rates them at. We are giving you true idle output ratings and not test bench ratings. Having the vehicle in front of us running these tests have made us very familiar with the engine. If you were to put that 320HP on to a GM V8, you'd see about 140 at idle, but on our Camry's we're losing 40 amps at idle. The 180HP has better idle output due to being able to tone down the top end to gain higher idle output. Now the 270XP version for our vehicles will do close to 190 at idle after the engine catches itself and compensates for the alternator load AT 2,000 alternator RPMs. The 270XP will do over 200 at idle on a Chevy V8 engine. So the difference between us and the competition? I guess you can say that we like to actually tell our customers what they're truly getting and not boast our idle output numbers like the rest. Hope that answers your questions :)

OH and just to let you know. These alternators DO NOT BREAK. :) They're based of of the Denso OEM Hairpin platform and have the most sophisticated regulators out there. Heat is NOT an issue with a hairpin. I rolled around with a 130HP (130 MAX OUTPUT) for 6 months running a SAZ-3500D at .5 and beating the crap out of it. Guess what? Didn't break :)

So you can expect 100 amps at idle MINIMUM.. not something that we're guessing. We know this because of our actual testing on the vehicle. :)

I must say you are very thorough with your responses. I think I would most likely go for the 180amp HP model if anything..

My system might consist of this setup soon:

Pioneer BT610U

450/4 v2 for interiors (front stage only)

500/1 v2 for sub

or

SAX-1200D

either Mach5 ixl-12 or SSA Dcon

Kinetik HC1800 battery and BIG 3 electrical upgrade soon

I currently have a cap but it will be gone once I get the time to remove it.... Have read too many bad stories....

So you can expect 100 amps at idle MINIMUM.. not something that we're guessing. We know this because of our actual testing on the vehicle. :)

This was on which model? I got confused about which one this referred to.

Compromise. In order to obtain a higher maximum amperage output, idle amperage decrease, and vice versa.

On some alternators, yes, your going to make a trade-off, but not always.. On alternators like Ford 3G/4G/6G alternators, and just about everything stock on imports your going to give up big-time idle output to get high output. On our flagship alternators like the SP and XP series though your not going to give up anything at idle to get the top end, you're going to gain all the way around.

This was on which model? I got confused about which one this referred to.

Just to clarify, the 320HP will give you about 100 at idle minimum, and the 180HP will give you 130 amps or so at idle..