diablo_331

Xcon12" in an PR enclosure? Input needed.

Tossing a few ideas around for my sub stage and have a question. What would be the best enclosure volume for a 12" Xcon and a TC Sounds 15" PR? The PR will be tuned differently depending on my mood. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Colby

I'd email Fi about making you a PR, they can do one for about $75 I believe. Tell them it's for an XCON 12" and they should do it for ya.

Talk to Nick, he should be able to make it with adjustable mass though.

Going to seem like something I'd say but, why not just two normal sealed?

This would be a little less expensive and should in theory, be a smaller enclosure.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-682

Exactly what you'll need for a single 12" with variable mass.

And as far as size, that will be dependant on speaker and PR parameters. Get BassBox or some modeling software and play around with some enclosures. WinISD does passive radiators IIRC.

Is this going to be for use in a vehicle?

1.cost

2.power needed

3.space is at a premium

4.electrical needed for the SAZ3500 that you know will be powering two Drew

And as far as size, that will be dependant on speaker and PR parameters. Get BassBox or some modeling software and play around with some enclosures. WinISD does passive radiators IIRC.

Yes this is for a vehicle.

The VMP 15" was the PR I was planning on going with.

After entering all of the available parameters HERE,

into WinISD Alpha, WinISD is telling me that the consistency check on a few of the groups has failed. This is why I hate modeling. Anyone have a few more known parameters that I can plug in? Here is a list of what I have entered into WinISD already.

•Re 3.7

•Fs 32.4

•Qms 5.24

•Qes .39

•Qts .37

•Mms 222

•Vas 35

•Sd 480

•Bl 20.65

•SPL 86.7

•Xmax 31mm

Anyone?

PRs work great, but I just don't think they belong in a car. There isn't any suspension to them besides the spiders and surround, and on top of that, the mass of those is so great that their weight carries the way the car shifts. If you are hitting bumps, the weight of the moving mass is going to transfer and move unlinear and stretch the suspension in ways it is not supposed to. And those same things that could go on with PRs in a car will cause odd distortion when the cone moved like that.

I hate to break it to ya, but I think you'd be best sacrificing or making space for a ported box.

Just my $0.02

PRs work great, but I just don't think they belong in a car. There isn't any suspension to them besides the spiders and surround, and on top of that, the mass of those is so great that their weight carries the way the car shifts. If you are hitting bumps, the weight of the moving mass is going to transfer and move unlinear and stretch the suspension in ways it is not supposed to. And those same things that could go on with PRs in a car will cause odd distortion when the cone moved like that.

I hate to break it to ya, but I think you'd be best sacrificing or making space for a ported box.

Just my $0.02

The spider and surround are the only suspension parts I know of in a speaker :fing34: . The PR will be mounted on its side of course so sagging will not be an issue. I know that PRs work in a car. They have for many years. If someone can please plug in the parameters and LMK a good box volume to start with.

Just my $0.02

I also have more than enough space to port the sub but I have a few reasons for wanted to try a PR.

Port noise.

Space.

Ease of fabrication.

Ability to change tuning whenever I please.

And last but not least..

MOAR DEEBEEZZZ!!LOL.(Than a typical sealed enclosure)

My wood shop is 7 hours away from me. So with very limited tools it is very hard to fab anything. I hope this at least explains why I am trying to accomplish and why.

Edited by diablo

Just my $0.02

The spider and surround are the only suspension parts I know of in a speaker :fing34: . The PR will be mounted on its side of course so sagging will not be an issue. I know that PRs work in a car. They have for many years. If someone can please plug in the parameters and LMK a good box volume to start with.

The big BUT is that subwoofers have a coil in a magnetic gap with power applied across the coil, which keeps the woofer very linear. Park on a hill or embankment and tell me sagging is not an issue. trink40.gif

I had a set of Acoustic Elegance PRs and even leaning them against the wall at a slight angle made the heavy radiator shift.

Those TC PRs may be more stable. I have never used the TCs, but the PRs i had were 2+ pounds of moving mass.

Give it a whirl, It will work, I just worry about the wear and tear over time on the PR.

The PR will be mounted cone back or to the side. It will not be facing up or down to sagging over time hopefully will be less of an issue.