slim142

New radio, but bass is now gone?

Is not "bass" in general (like bass/treble on most radios), is the subwoofer level setting.

When left at 0, theres barely bass coming out from the sub.

Edited by slim142

That's the world of recording music. There's no standard of amplitude for each frequency level, it's up to the musician about how loud they want each instrument. I play 80s hairband rock and I have the sub level on my head unit maxed out at +15 and the volume as high as the interior speakers can play, but the sub is not as loud as it could bel. However, if I play some rap music I can't turn either the head unit volume or the sub level all the way up or else the sub exceeds its limits.

Your factory speakers are likely not up to snuff and can't handle the low stuff with only a 12 db crossover. You may need an 18 or 24 db crossover for them.

Having the head unit at 54 may be sending out a clipped signal, which is why the speakers sound funny. Your aftermarket radio only sends out 25 watts at 4 ohm. If your factory speakers are 8 or 10 ohm (which some are), they're receiving half that power or less. Your factory radio would have been built to give maximum power at the load of the factory speakers, so it may have actually been giving more power to your interior speakers than your aftermarket head unit is. You may need an amp for those speakers as well, and preferably one with a higher than 12 db/octave crossover from the sound of it.

Get the Bravox's, a nice 4-channel amp, and run that radio in "Net Work Mode". Which will put it into a 2-way active mode completely separating the woofers, mids, and tweeters from each other.

Will probably fix most your issues.

That's the world of recording music. There's no standard of amplitude for each frequency level, it's up to the musician about how loud they want each instrument. I play 80s hairband rock and I have the sub level on my head unit maxed out at +15 and the volume as high as the interior speakers can play, but the sub is not as loud as it could bel. However, if I play some rap music I can't turn either the head unit volume or the sub level all the way up or else the sub exceeds its limits.

Your factory speakers are likely not up to snuff and can't handle the low stuff with only a 12 db crossover. You may need an 18 or 24 db crossover for them.

Having the head unit at 54 may be sending out a clipped signal, which is why the speakers sound funny. Your aftermarket radio only sends out 25 watts at 4 ohm. If your factory speakers are 8 or 10 ohm (which some are), they're receiving half that power or less. Your factory radio would have been built to give maximum power at the load of the factory speakers, so it may have actually been giving more power to your interior speakers than your aftermarket head unit is. You may need an amp for those speakers as well, and preferably one with a higher than 12 db/octave crossover from the sound of it.

I dont think the slopes go lower than 12db on my headunit. That could be a problem if the cause of front speakers distortion is coming from that.

Whats a good HPF for aftermarket speakers? I have mine on 80Hz 12db slope. Of course, they sound bad, but is 80Hz a little to low for speakers (in general) anyways? or is it because the slope is too low?

Also, if I set my HPF at 80Hz, am I forced to set my LPF at 80Hz?

Im thinking about setting my subwoofer LPF at 63Hz, and change my front/rear speakers HPF from 80hz to 100Hz. All with 12db slopes. Does this mean I will barely hear/feel anything between 63Hz and 99Hz? Is it ok if for some reason this sounds good, loud and I want to keep it this way (until I replace my factory speakers)?

Get the Bravox's, a nice 4-channel amp, and run that radio in "Net Work Mode". Which will put it into a 2-way active mode completely separating the woofers, mids, and tweeters from each other.

Will probably fix most your issues.

Bravox will be purchased as soon as they become available. I will start with 1 component set and replace my front stage. From there, I'll see how they sound and if another pair is worth it.

Net Work Mode also has 2-way active (2-way + sub)? I thought NW Mode was for 3-way active only

About a 4-channel amp, I really want to get a SAX-100.4

But I dont know yet, first I want to see how the Bravox sound with the aftermarket HU w/out amp and then think about it.

That would mean another run of power and ground cables too so its not just $320

It is absolutely ok if they sound better with the crossovers like that. Try it out. It's just a crossover, play with it (just don't get it too low for the interior speakers of course). Play with both the interior and sub's crossovers. They do not have to be the same number. In fact, most people do use an underlap like you're talking about. Setting the HPF at 100 hz will likely help the interior speakers not distort as easily. The only downside is you may miss out on some midbass.

Cool, thanks!

Will definitely set the HPF at 100hz and see if that helps me play the speakers louder. Prob leave my sub at 80hz too.

Lets hope those bravox come soon so I can take advantage of the power of my headunit.

On a side note, I read the following on the manual, didnt really understand what its trying to say. Does it mean some kind of phase (delay as I understand it) is applied when I have all filters on 12db, 80hz? If so, is this good or not?

"When slope of subwoofer and high pass filter are

-12dB, and same cut-off frequency, the phase is

reversed 180 degrees at the cut-off frequency. In

this case, reversing the phase assures improved

sound continuity"

Edited by slim142

You should definitely get an amp for these Bravox speakers. Take advantage of the Group buy on the Boss audio (zed made) amp here at SSA. It is sooo cheap, and must be a good amp. Don't be fooled by the Boss name ! They're ZED amps.

I really wish I had money for a leviathan and the 3way carbon fiber series.

Just on the amp we are talkin about $550, 3way carbon series from Bravox are around $400dreds.

I really wish I could try out a 3way system, but that would require too much work on the doors, something I cant do right now.

What I have on mind is to get the 2way carbon series, later a sax-100.4. If I do really like the carbon series, I might think about 3way way in the future.

Cool, thanks!

Will definitely set the HPF at 100hz and see if that helps me play the speakers louder. Prob leave my sub at 80hz too.

Lets hope those bravox come soon so I can take advantage of the power of my headunit.

On a side note, I read the following on the manual, didnt really understand what its trying to say. Does it mean some kind of phase (delay as I understand it) is applied when I have all filters on 12db, 80hz? If so, is this good or not?

"When slope of subwoofer and high pass filter are

-12dB, and same cut-off frequency, the phase is

reversed 180 degrees at the cut-off frequency. In

this case, reversing the phase assures improved

sound continuity"

It's saying that when you have the crossover at 12 db and frequency equal for both the HPF and LPF, the interior speakers and the sub will be 180 degrees out of phase. It's not a delay, it just means that when the sub's cone is pushed all of the way out for a note, the interior speakers will be all the way in on that same note at the same time. Depending on your distance from each speaker and the note being played, this may result in cancellation. This is why the manual suggests that reversing the phase would likely have better sound quality. That way each speaker would be going out at the same time. However, it's not always the case. Many people have one mid out of phase with the other, or even the sub out of phase with the mids. It really just depends on the vehicle, equipment, frequency, and where you are located within the car. It's not going to hurt the equipment at all either way. It's just a sound thing.

It's saying that when you have the crossover at 12 db and frequency equal for both the HPF and LPF, the interior speakers and the sub will be 180 degrees out of phase. It's not a delay, it just means that when the sub's cone is pushed all of the way out for a note, the interior speakers will be all the way in on that same note at the same time. Depending on your distance from each speaker and the note being played, this may result in cancellation. This is why the manual suggests that reversing the phase would likely have better sound quality. That way each speaker would be going out at the same time. However, it's not always the case. Many people have one mid out of phase with the other, or even the sub out of phase with the mids. It really just depends on the vehicle, equipment, frequency, and where you are located within the car. It's not going to hurt the equipment at all either way. It's just a sound thing.

That makes sense. When I had everything on 80Hz w/ 12db slope, I felt some notes were not coming out! I knew it was due to this!

Besides trying 100hz HPF for front and rear speakers and 80hz for sub, I will also try leaving everything at 80Hz and changing to Reverse see if that fixes the missing notes problem.

This radio shows me something new every day. I wonder how long it will take for me to know it from top to bottom lol