jrod1050

Fi BTL/ SSA Xcon Cone shaped Motors

The motors on these woofers look almost identical. I know both woofers are made out of the same build house. Is there any difference in the motors? I know Xcon is more of a sound quality woofer, Im a owner, and the BTL is more of a SPL woofer. Is it the soft parts and the coil that make them sound different? Please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Nice post Duran. :)

The BTL and Xcon look similar, but as explained above they are different. For example, the Xcon has a shorting ring to lower inductance ( a feature more set for the SQ or daily driver crowd) and the BTL does not. The reason is the BTL is aiming to keep as much motor force as possible for big power installs. Both are excellent drivers, but they are built for different applications. The top plates are different, the height of the magnets, along with their inner and outer diameter is different. So from a far, they make look similar, but next to each other, the difference is noticeable. Both are at the top of the game at their respective market segments, but are not meant for the same application.

:)

I concur with denim's post :)

I did not mention the differences in coil, former, suspension, dust cap (over all moving mass and inductance), cooling, etc. etc. ;)