Sign in to follow this  
Curtis96olds

which alternator?

ok i have a 2002 dodge dakota 3.9L and i noticed that they just added alts for my truck (very happy about that by the way!) anyways, im currently running an AQ1200D, i did the "big 3" and i have a kinteic HC2000 under the hood, now in the spring i plan on buying another 1200D and strapping them, and as it is, with the headlights on i get voltage drops to the low 13's. the 2 alts im looking at are https://www.dcpowerinc.com/13874-180-hp.html and https://www.dcpowerinc.com/13874-170-oem.html now i dont see much difference in the 2 except a 10 amp difference and a 60 dollar difference (and the cheaper one puts out 10 more amps) so my question is, which should i get, and would either of them support 2 AQ1200D's strapped with my current battery (i dont have the room to add another battery except my truck bed, and thats out of the question)

the 180HP loses 15% output hot versus the 170OEM which loses 25-30%. So in a sense, the 180 maintains higher amperage and better idle as well. You can't go wrong with either, but i personally would go with the 180 so you have more room for growth for your system.

the 180HP loses 15% output hot versus the 170OEM which loses 25-30%. So in a sense, the 180 maintains higher amperage and better idle as well. You can't go wrong with either, but i personally would go with the 180 so you have more room for growth for your system.

what would be the most wattage i could safely run with the 180 amp alt + my hc2000 battery + big3? like i said im planning on 2400 watts, i just dont want to get the alt and realize ill get voltage drop then have to upgrade again. i highly doubt i will ever run more then 2400 watts in this truck anyway, so as long as ill be fine running that ill be happy.

also, if the 180hp one is overall better why is it cheaper? im just curious, both are drop in replacements correct?

Edited by curt96olds

you should be fine with a 180 for 2400 watts. I ran a SAZ-3500D @ .5 daily and max draw was 230 amps. We're adjusting pricing on the website and we already adjusted the HP series.. gotta do the OEMs next. :)

Just FYI, you can also run our PCM bypass and internally regulate your alternator as well.. It may not seem like a big upgrade going from what you have to a 180, but with the big increase in efficency, idle output, and higher voltage you would definitely notice a big difference. You dont always need 200+ amps to run big power, Kyle's car was the best proving ground ever for that.. A kickass super efficient 180 will OWN another 220 that's not efficient because we give up less to heat, and carry a 60 amp spread at idle.. A 220 that does 170 hot with 70 at idle is just NOT a better unit than a 180 that does 160 hot, and 120-130 at idle...

Just FYI, you can also run our PCM bypass and internally regulate your alternator as well.. It may not seem like a big upgrade going from what you have to a 180, but with the big increase in efficency, idle output, and higher voltage you would definitely notice a big difference. You dont always need 200+ amps to run big power, Kyle's car was the best proving ground ever for that.. A kickass super efficient 180 will OWN another 220 that's not efficient because we give up less to heat, and carry a 60 amp spread at idle.. A 220 that does 170 hot with 70 at idle is just NOT a better unit than a 180 that does 160 hot, and 120-130 at idle...

thanks for the help guys :) guess im gonna go with the 180HP series, if i had the money id just go for the 270XP but thats a bit more then i can/want to spend right now.

thanks for the help guys :) guess im gonna go with the 180HP series, if i had the money id just go for the 270XP but thats a bit more then i can/want to spend right now.

The 270XP's are wicked nasty alts to be sure, but if you dont really need it, Im not going to tell you that you do just to sell you one... The 180HP's are just wicked nasty little alternators..

Sign in to follow this