Shogen

Want to make sure... Icon 12"

Yea I figured...

Actually, my Q-logic box measurements are

H: 15.5

W: 17

D: 15.5

Top Depth: 9.5

I cannot seem to figure out the cubes... Help??

Are those internal or external??

7th grade geometry tells me that Height * Width * Length = Volume

-yes you need to use all the same units, this will yield cubic "units"

-you quoted inches, to change cubic inches to cubic feet divide the total by 1728 (12 cubed)

And for a box you HAVE to use the internal dimensions. Then you need to subtract the portion of the box that the port is blocking AND subtract for the volume that the sub displaces.

I use an Arc Audio KS1000.1 and it sounds great. If you look into upgrading your amp one of those could be a consideration.

Yea I figured...

Actually, my Q-logic box measurements are

H: 15.5

W: 17

D: 15.5

Top Depth: 9.5

I cannot seem to figure out the cubes... Help??

Are those internal or external??

7th grade geometry tells me that Height * Width * Length = Volume

-yes you need to use all the same units, this will yield cubic "units"

-you quoted inches, to change cubic inches to cubic feet divide the total by 1728 (12 cubed)

And for a box you HAVE to use the internal dimensions. Then you need to subtract the portion of the box that the port is blocking AND subtract for the volume that the sub displaces.

Yea, see when I did that I found that info and I assumed it was wrong because I took external dimensions.... Thanks...

Also thank you to the fellas above... I will look into that amp...

Soo... I took out the old Pioneer for kicks to check out the dimensions of the box internally... My math gave me 1.32cubes .. But there was a small Q-logic sticker I found when I was sealing up the edges better and it says 1.25cubes... So just a little polyfill and I'm good to go with that box...

I hope it isn't made of thin particle board, if so you should make a new one.

It's half an inch thick. Should be fine, right?

I wouldn't put an Icon on a 1/2 inch thick baffle. Also as stated above, it could be particle board.. which could be 2x the trouble. You put a beast like an Icon in a situation like that, and you're going to see yourself in a situation like this >>> :suicide-santa:

"The QLH-1.2512SE accommodates one 12" subwoofer in a sturdy housing made entirely of non-resonant medium-density fiberboard."

*sigh*

sigh?? why? not good enough??? :ughdunno:

They don't list the thickness...You could send them an email and ask.

the port can be trimmed to change tuned frequency (nice addition, not just tuned at 45hz and there you go).

Edit after further reading,

I think that box is good for a low powered subwoofer, but an Icon on a 1000watts is gonna tear that apart.

*throws up in mouth*

Depends on your needs, goals, power, etc. I'd never use something that thin, but I know bassheads who will disagree. Different goals.

the port can be trimmed to change tuned frequency (nice addition, not just tuned at 45hz and there you go).

I think that box is good for a low powered subwoofer, but an Icon on a 1000watts is gonna tear that apart.

HUGE problem with that box. It is 1.25cuft which is enough for a SEALED Icon. No way, no how will anything sound good in it. If you have to use it, seal the port and call it sealed.

Port tuning is also seriously shit in that enclosure and not made for a "real" sub.

It won't get torn apart if it is truly mdf, but I still don't recommend it for anything I'd own.

*throws up in mouth*

Depends on your needs, goals, power, etc. I'd never use something that thin, but I know bassheads who will disagree. Different goals.

HUGE problem with that box. It is 1.25cuft which is enough for a SEALED Icon. No way, no how will anything sound good in it. If you have to use it, seal the port and call it sealed.

Port tuning is also seriously shit in that enclosure and not made for a "real" sub.

It won't get torn apart if it is truly mdf, but I still don't recommend it for anything I'd own.

Why? :puzzled: Edit- why would bassheads use thin panels? Never heard of bassheads using thin panels for their box. Bassheads double up. :)

Why? :puzzled: Edit- why would bassheads use thin panels? Never heard of bassheads using thin panels for their box. Bassheads double up. :)

Huh? Bassheads want it loud. Sometimes flex isn't a bad thing ;)

For me, on the other end of the spectrum, it is a terrible thing.

When it is radiating the noise you are trying to make. I've first hand seen a pair of identical boxes (mounting location & cubic feet) where the thinner box was louder.

Same reason deadening isn't always helpful.

*throws up in mouth*

Doubt the box has any bracing, I guess if the glue used is decent enough...

forgot to mention... I sealed up the hole.... lol .... but yea, I guess I will have to get a good box... I don't even know when the woofer is coming in... Been a week already so I have time before they ship it....

Use the ssa tech section for a design for a simple sealed enclosure built to perfect specs for your icon. Easy to make and efficient. :)

*throws up in mouth*

Doubt the box has any bracing, I guess if the glue used is decent enough...

Of course it doesn't, but look at the size of it. Even thin mdf isn't trivial to explode lol.