Sign in to follow this  
edouble101

Need help

I have searched everywhere for a high ouput alternator for my 2008 Hyundai Elantra and nobody makes one! My stock alternator is a puny 90amp unit. I would like to be able to support +3000wrms. I plan on using a D6500 battery under the hood. By adding a second battery I would not be improving anything other than killing my alternator faster, right? Do you think I can support +3000wrms with my factory alternator and a D6500?

Thank you!

Eric

I would run an extra battery in the back to give you some extra reserve capacity. I would recommend using a charger to to the batteries off when you can. This would relieve the stress on the alternator. Do the big three and throw a second battery in the back and you should be good. Is your voltage going to drop.... yes because you are going to be exceeding your alts abilities very quick, but with enough reserve in the back you should be good.

Thanks for the fast reply Nathan. With the D6500 under the hood which battery do you recommend as a secondary battery? Do I need a battery isolater then? Which charger do you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

As big as you can fit and afford really. The more reserve you have the better you will be.

You could get the 1005 charger, but we have the new HF1215 12V charger coming out soon which is more compact and is going to be less expensive.