edouble101

180 amp, XCOn 15D2 and 2500 watts

I have an XCON 15D2 and a DC Power 180 amp alternator on its way to my house :fing34: .....and Argent Audio is building me a 4.0 cubic enclosure with a tuned 32hz flared port :woot:

Hmmmmm...... Sundown SAZ-2500D or Stetsom V 2K5E 1 ohm? 2500 watts should give me a little bit of headroom :morepower1:

After I get the low end taken care of I will focus on the mids/highs. Build log coming soon.

Oh yeah....going in a Hyundai Elantra :bandwagon2:

I'd go with the Stetsom, more efficient.

I feel bad for the Hyundai.

denim, do you think the XCON 15D2 can handle 2500wrms daily????

denim, do you think the XCON 15D2 can handle 2500wrms daily????

It does not have the cooling to run full tilt that far over the rms for long periods of time. Scott and I were talking about this last night on the phone. People have to remember, the Xcon is a high end, higher power SQ biased sub woofer. If you really want to push it past it's stated limits, then maybe option for a different driver. Don't get me wrong, the Xcon can take some power, but it is not worth taking it to its thermal limits. Yes, music is dynamic, and under normal conditions it will not see the full brunt of that power, but we cannot say it is ok because people will think that they can go for it and we will have a slew of fried Xcon's come back because people will clip the crap out of their amp or play test tones or some reworked heavily distorted bass track trying to impress their friends and the coil reaches thermal. The Xcon coil can take some serious power, it just does not have the cooling to take the abuse like a BL or BTL etc. Was not meant to. Think modern overhung tribute to the old RE XXX and Crystal CMPx2. Hope that all makes sense. There is nothing wrong with some headroom, just don't want people to be under the impression that it is good to throw a real 2500 at the Xcon daily, and that to remember it is an SQ sub woofer first and foremost. We (SSA) like having an EXTREMELY low failure rate, all so far that I know of were user abuse above and beyond design intent of the sub woofer. The Xcon is for those discerning listeners that like to be able to crank it if they want or have more wattage then most. Those who worry about really peaky response, I always option them to the BTL.

/rambling

:)

SQ woofas are tearing my Yukon up! Explain that. lol

:dancing:

Never said they could not get brutally loud. ;)

Thanks for the technical information denim. I always appreciate your input. I am 99.9% sure I will be getting the Stetsom 2k. I will be able to power dual 18's (different vehicle) in the future and not have to buy a new amp. For the meantime I will certainly have the 2k properly set up for the XCON. I am looking forward to being very pleased with this set up. I have had numerous systems in the past that I have only been, well, "ok" with. After researching the XCON I am excited to take things to a higher level of SQ and SPL. Yeah yeah I know can't have both but from my viewpoint I will, I am not competing. This is the first vehicle that I am doing an alternator upgrade with and dual batteries, I am excited.

I don't know what I am doing with the front stage yet. I wish KEF was still around or MBQuart was still amazing speakers. Did you have to bring up the CMP????? LOL. The CMP12 was my dream speaker back in the day. Funny you mentioned it........I thought of XCON's as being CMP's........hitting the 140's and sounding phenomenal doing it.

Well one thing I hope we can count on is you taking some of those incredible photos of your build.

The CMPx2 was one of my old favorites and partial inspiration for the Xcon. Part of the beauty of the Xcon that it plays and performs beautifully in sealed enclosures. There is a stigma that many people have with power ratting and choice of enclosure design.

Well one thing I hope we can count on is you taking some of those incredible photos of your build.

No doubt! It is going to be a few months yet, my fiance is expecting me to be saving for our wedding!

The CMPx2 was one of my old favorites and partial inspiration for the Xcon. Part of the beauty of the Xcon that it plays and performs beautifully in sealed enclosures. There is a stigma that many people have with power ratting and choice of enclosure design.

Great, I am very anxious to hear it!

I understand what you are saying. You can't manufacture a product the will not sell.

I can second that. My 15's sounded incredible in a 6cf sealed box and were still very loud. Really hard punch and excellent transient response. I loved them sealed on rock and metal !!

:drink40: