Hzd Skizzy

Door Panels.

Hello,

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 with stock everything. Have yet to make a change but I'm planning on it in the future.

My main problem is when i turn up the volume, my door panels rattle around a lot. This is one thing I hate about the car. The doors feel really light and cheap. Anyways, this is a stock system, no subwoofer, bass on h/u is on 0 but when i turn up the volume the speakers cause my door panels to rattle.

What type of application would help stop all of this rattling? Do I just need to roll on some deadener on the door? Do I need to remount my speakers outside of the door panel? Just need a little advice to make this rattling stop. Thanks.

Which panel is rattling? the inner metal door skin or the plastic panel? Or are both panels rattling against each other?

If the metal is vibrating use deadener on it. If its the plastic rattling then you will most likely need to place some pieces of foam between the plastic panel and metal door skin. The foam will decouple the two panels and hold the plastic from resonating/rattling.

If you can stop the rattle with your hand, then you have found the problem area. Both methods stated above will act by replacing your hand and stopping the rattle.

Hello,

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 with stock everything. Have yet to make a change but I'm planning on it in the future.

My main problem is when i turn up the volume, my door panels rattle around a lot. This is one thing I hate about the car. The doors feel really light and cheap. Anyways, this is a stock system, no subwoofer, bass on h/u is on 0 but when i turn up the volume the speakers cause my door panels to rattle.

What type of application would help stop all of this rattling? Do I just need to roll on some deadener on the door? Do I need to remount my speakers outside of the door panel? Just need a little advice to make this rattling stop. Thanks.

Late model Mazdas have unusual doors, similar to Minis and some VWs. The inner skin has a large plastic insert in the center to which all of the moving parts are attached. This structure has advantages and disadvantages. Any effective treatment is going to require removing the plastic piece, so learning how to do that is a very good starting point.

Exactly what you do from there will depend on what you want to accomplish. My standard door treatment is vibration damper on the inner and outer skins. You have sheet metal around the edges of the inner skin that will benefit from some vibration damper. The plastic part is highly reinforced and convoluted, so there isn't much to be gained from applying vibration damper to the plastic part. Adding vibration damper to the sheet metal will make the doors sound much more substantial when opened and closed. It will also control resonance in the sheet metal and that will help a little with the rattle.

My preferred door treatment is to apply vibration damper and then add a barrier between the inner skin and trim panel. There are many advantages to this approach but it isn't possible in your case because of the way the inner skin and trim panel mate. The removable plastic insert does make the outer skin easy to get to. If blocking noise from outside the car is a concern, hanging the barrier on the outer skin is really your only option.

To get to the trim panel rattles, you'll want to get as much closed cell foam between the inner skin and trim panel as will fit and not interfere with the doors' operation.

Which panel is rattling? the inner metal door skin or the plastic panel? Or are both panels rattling against each other?

If the metal is vibrating use deadener on it. If its the plastic rattling then you will most likely need to place some pieces of foam between the plastic panel and metal door skin. The foam will decouple the two panels and hold the plastic from resonating/rattling.

If you can stop the rattle with your hand, then you have found the problem area. Both methods stated above will act by replacing your hand and stopping the rattle.

I really can't be sure which panel is rattling until i gut my door a little bit, but my best guess is the plastic outer panel because it just feels cheap and the noise it makes just sounds like plastic if that makes any sense. Plus i did the hand trick you said and i found a few points where I isolated some rattles.

Thanks for the help.

Hello,

Late model Mazdas have unusual doors, similar to Minis and some VWs. The inner skin has a large plastic insert in the center to which all of the moving parts are attached. This structure has advantages and disadvantages. Any effective treatment is going to require removing the plastic piece, so learning how to do that is a very good starting point.

Exactly what you do from there will depend on what you want to accomplish. My standard door treatment is vibration damper on the inner and outer skins. You have sheet metal around the edges of the inner skin that will benefit from some vibration damper. The plastic part is highly reinforced and convoluted, so there isn't much to be gained from applying vibration damper to the plastic part. Adding vibration damper to the sheet metal will make the doors sound much more substantial when opened and closed. It will also control resonance in the sheet metal and that will help a little with the rattle.

My preferred door treatment is to apply vibration damper and then add a barrier between the inner skin and trim panel. There are many advantages to this approach but it isn't possible in your case because of the way the inner skin and trim panel mate. The removable plastic insert does make the outer skin easy to get to. If blocking noise from outside the car is a concern, hanging the barrier on the outer skin is really your only option.

To get to the trim panel rattles, you'll want to get as much closed cell foam between the inner skin and trim panel as will fit and not interfere with the doors' operation.

PM'ed.