Sign in to follow this  
Hzd Skizzy

Alternator Request for a mazda

Hello I have a 2007 Mazda 3. It is a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter engine.

I will be running an saz-2500d and another speaker amp so probably 2800 watts total just in car audio.

I just want an alt that can support that without spending too much money.

Hopefully best bang for my buck under 400$?

While your at it, make one for a 2003 version of the Mazda 2.0l engine too. ;)

Im still doing some research on this one.. I have an idea of what Im going to do, I just need to verify it.. Mazda's are their own unique animal, so we are limited to what we can do within that "family" of products... I'll hit you up as soon as I get this one figured out.. Rob

Okay thanks for letting me know.

The only place that has an alternator for me is Excessive Amperage and i'm getting an adjustable voltage with it.

I wanted to inquire about yours because while EA doesn't get very good reviews and I don't know much about them and DC gets good reviews and I know a little more, I wouldn't mind maybe paying a little more for something that is made with a little more quality from you guys. Let me know how your research goes man.

The only place that has an alternator for me is Excessive Amperage and i'm getting an adjustable voltage with it.

I wanted to inquire about yours because while EA doesn't get very good reviews and I don't know much about them and DC gets good reviews and I know a little more, I wouldn't mind maybe paying a little more for something that is made with a little more quality from you guys. Let me know how your research goes man.

Wow wow wow... Hold on here... If your (supposedly) getting an alternator with adjustable voltage, get used to driving around with your check engine light on...

You absolutely, 1000% cannot bypass this system on a Mazda, there is NO way to do it without a LOT of very highly technical work, that would have to be done by an OEM level engineer.. On your car, half of the regulator is in the alternator, half is in the PCM. More precisely, your actual "Field switch" is in the alternator, your "field controller" is in the PCM and it runs via a 400hz PWM between the PCM and alternator. If the Field switch isn't communicating to the PCM, it is insta CEL. Next, since iirc it's also part of emissions system on your car, and therefore falls under the Federal Emission regulations, it's technically illegal (to the letter of the law no matter how ridiculous it is)... I could go on, but I think you get the point... Against my own better judgement, this is one of the times where I'm going to call somebody stupid, and it's not you...

Your problem on your car with the 2.0, is your alternator has more mounting points than you can shake a stick at (5), they are all tangential to the mounting surface, they ALL bolt to the block.. So, not only do you have to get passed the mounting issue, Mazda is the ONLY OEM who uses this system, and Mitsubishi is the ONLY manufacturer that supplies Mazda.. Needless to say, your car, is in the top 3 biggest pains in my but because of this... There is just no good solution that I've found, yet....

Sorry to rant, but this just touched a big nerve because it never ceases to amaze me at the lack of knowledge by some people (again, not you)....

Good to hear you are being straight forward to tell the truth, and by this letting him know, dont believe what they are telling him. Good knowledge Rob.

Wow wow wow... Hold on here... If your (supposedly) getting an alternator with adjustable voltage, get used to driving around with your check engine light on...

You absolutely, 1000% cannot bypass this system on a Mazda, there is NO way to do it without a LOT of very highly technical work, that would have to be done by an OEM level engineer.. On your car, half of the regulator is in the alternator, half is in the PCM. More precisely, your actual "Field switch" is in the alternator, your "field controller" is in the PCM and it runs via a 400hz PWM between the PCM and alternator. If the Field switch isn't communicating to the PCM, it is insta CEL. Next, since iirc it's also part of emissions system on your car, and therefore falls under the Federal Emission regulations, it's technically illegal (to the letter of the law no matter how ridiculous it is)... I could go on, but I think you get the point... Against my own better judgement, this is one of the times where I'm going to call somebody stupid, and it's not you...

Your problem on your car with the 2.0, is your alternator has more mounting points than you can shake a stick at (5), they are all tangential to the mounting surface, they ALL bolt to the block.. So, not only do you have to get passed the mounting issue, Mazda is the ONLY OEM who uses this system, and Mitsubishi is the ONLY manufacturer that supplies Mazda.. Needless to say, your car, is in the top 3 biggest pains in my but because of this... There is just no good solution that I've found, yet....

Sorry to rant, but this just touched a big nerve because it never ceases to amaze me at the lack of knowledge by some people (again, not you)....

Wow, seriously i would of had NO idea. I'm just your average consumer. Are you saying I should not get the 200amp alt at all? I mean just by you saying this im not getting the adjustable voltage. Either way I need a high output alternator, I'm running 2,500 watts of extra power and I don't think my stock electrical will like this. Now I need advice on what I should do. My system rests at 14.0-.1 car on. I just want to have that 14.5-14.9 that seems like everyone else has. Now that I see I can't do that then I just care about having the power to make the power. I'm glad you told me about this so i didn't blow my money away. What do you think I should do power wise? I'm kind of back in a dead lock. I didn't mean to make you mad, I don't have much of an idea, I guess I just trusted something I shouldn't of.

It wasn't you that made me mad bro.. Believe me, it wasn't you in ANY way.. I fully understand your position, and believe me I have about 50 other customers in the same position waiting on this or that to come out. It SUCKS to need something, and not be able to get it. I am telling you straight up tho, throwing down $400+ for an alternator now just because you can doesn't make it a good idea. It's kind of like buying a 5 year old computer and paying premium $$$ for it just because you need it right now and it's the only thing available for it, and having the newest, fastest technology coming out in a month.. Yeah, I know you need it bad, I'm telling you, save your $$ and wait, something better is coming...

What pissed me off is I am just amazed at what some people will tell someone just to get a sale.. Just FYI, your stock alternator is built on the A2T Mitsubishi platform which is now over 25 years old, which in charging systems terms, is ancient! A 200 amp alternator built from that, is going to be worse than your stock alternator at idle, and there's no way around it. 200 amps, is over 200% of your alternators stock output, pushing a unit like that, that hard is just not smart from a durability standpoint, let alone messing with the PCM..

We stopped building on those alternators 2 years ago because they are just NOT good HO units.. We will build something for the Mazda's this year that is designed AS a HO unit, something 200-250 amps, that will have 140-150 at idle, and something worth putting MY name on. Until we can do that, we just wont sell it. If we were in this business just to take money, I'd already have had your money and built you an alternator, no matter how good it was or wasn't.. The point is, we know better, and we wont do it because I know for 1000% sure, you wont be happy with it.. And If I know you wont be happy with it, then why the hell am I selling it to you in the first place??

This is just a very touchy subject for me, there are at least 10 of our competitors that do things like this on a daily basis, they just want the cash and dont give 2 shits about anything other than making the sale, just because they have something they call "High Output".. Let me translate "high output" in their terms, "Well it IS higher output than stock, so it HAS to be better and hey, just because it's higher output, we can get people to pay MORE money for it. Who cares how it actually works in the car, we got the customers money now!!!".. Trust me, I take 20 phone calls a week, at least, from guys like you, they are ALL the same. "Hey, I bought an alternator for my car, and I'm still having the same problems, or it's even WORSE than my stock alternator" Where did you buy it? I bought it from _________, well, there's your problem......

Anyways /Rant

It wasn't you that made me mad bro.. Believe me, it wasn't you in ANY way.. I fully understand your position, and believe me I have about 50 other customers in the same position waiting on this or that to come out. It SUCKS to need something, and not be able to get it. I am telling you straight up tho, throwing down $400+ for an alternator now just because you can doesn't make it a good idea. It's kind of like buying a 5 year old computer and paying premium $$$ for it just because you need it right now and it's the only thing available for it, and having the newest, fastest technology coming out in a month.. Yeah, I know you need it bad, I'm telling you, save your $$ and wait, something better is coming...

What pissed me off is I am just amazed at what some people will tell someone just to get a sale.. Just FYI, your stock alternator is built on the A2T Mitsubishi platform which is now over 25 years old, which in charging systems terms, is ancient! A 200 amp alternator built from that, is going to be worse than your stock alternator at idle, and there's no way around it. 200 amps, is over 200% of your alternators stock output, pushing a unit like that, that hard is just not smart from a durability standpoint, let alone messing with the PCM..

We stopped building on those alternators 2 years ago because they are just NOT good HO units.. We will build something for the Mazda's this year that is designed AS a HO unit, something 200-250 amps, that will have 140-150 at idle, and something worth putting MY name on. Until we can do that, we just wont sell it. If we were in this business just to take money, I'd already have had your money and built you an alternator, no matter how good it was or wasn't.. The point is, we know better, and we wont do it because I know for 1000% sure, you wont be happy with it.. And If I know you wont be happy with it, then why the hell am I selling it to you in the first place??

This is just a very touchy subject for me, there are at least 10 of our competitors that do things like this on a daily basis, they just want the cash and dont give 2 shits about anything other than making the sale, just because they have something they call "High Output".. Let me translate "high output" in their terms, "Well it IS higher output than stock, so it HAS to be better and hey, just because it's higher output, we can get people to pay MORE money for it. Who cares how it actually works in the car, we got the customers money now!!!".. Trust me, I take 20 phone calls a week, at least, from guys like you, they are ALL the same. "Hey, I bought an alternator for my car, and I'm still having the same problems, or it's even WORSE than my stock alternator" Where did you buy it? I bought it from _________, well, there's your problem......

Anyways /Rant

Well this sucks. I guess I'll just hold off. I'll wait for you guys to make something. I'll see if i can run my amp at 1 ohm and hope it may not get too low, but I am sure it will, even driving normally. If it goes to low I'll switch to 4 ohm which is only 600 watts but I guess it will just have to do. Thanks for informing me though. I now have a rough understanding of what is going on. But you say you may have an alternator for mazdas within the year? If so, do you have a general time frame?

Your best bet is to do just like you mentioned bro. You would be safer changing the impedence to 4ohm until the HO alt is available. If you want to run down to 1ohm, you have to be really smart with your gains. The old idea of doing it once and doing it right the first time is how you should approach your purchase of a HO alt.

I know it sucks, believe me.. This is one of those times though that I'm telling you 100% it will be worth the wait.. I wont say exactly what Im doing, but you'll be the first person with a 250+ amp alt in a Mazda 3 that actually works.. If I wasnt in the middle of 30 other projects right now, it would be sooner, but it should be sometime in March when we have it done so it's not like it's going to be June.. Your better off waiting and doing it once, than do this one half assed because trust me, your going to be more pissed off dropping 4 Bennies on something that your not happy with.. Just trust me on this one.. I don't take this kind of stance very often, unless I have a really, really good reason to.. :) Rob

Alright thanks man. I'll keep checking back I guess and see how the progress is doing, I really would like to buy something great, and something that will last me. Thanks for the talk, really appreciate it.

Hello! I have kept my patience for your work! I was just wondering how it is coming. Really eager to know. Said sometime in march, so I was just wondering if any moves have been made on it.

Thanks!

Hello! I have kept my patience for your work! I was just wondering how it is coming. Really eager to know. Said sometime in march, so I was just wondering if any moves have been made on it.

Thanks!

Actually, we did.. I finished up the prototyping on these so we're about ready to roll into production.. We'll have 200 and 220 amp versions, and they are both just stellar units, even better than I was thinking they would.. :)

Awesome! What series are they in? If I was looking at the 220, what would the idle be and is it bolt-on ready to go? How much are the units? Or is it too early to be asking these questions?

Thanks!

Well, I haven't really gave them a "name" yet, but they have the same winding technology as the XP's do.. In all honesty, for their size they are better alternators output wise.. The 190 amp version will do 200 (exactly) but we rated them 190.. In your 3 though, the only alt we can really build is the 220 because of the frames.. NO way am i doing billet for them.. lol

Just for reference here's a power curve... While it may not seem all that impressive, for that size alt it's REALLY impressive...

IMG_1301.jpg

Edited by DC Power Rob

Looks like :morepower1: is on the way!

Yes, if you want to order one of these have no fear. Also, you have my personal guarantee it will leave here within 24 hours of you ordering it. I'm finishing a batch of these tomorrow so if you order after tomorrow, it will leave the same day you order it. Rob

Is there an email i could have that we could further this conversation in?

Sign in to follow this