Sign in to follow this  
Ktownmazda6

ssd 15 3cu ft. minimum size

I cut a box according to the ssd cut sheets, and it is in a 08 mazda 6i sedan (non hatch model).

well.. Downside is it does not fit with the sub facing the seats. I gutted the trunk to bare metal to see if it would help me try to squeeze it in.. NADA.

I PROMISE you it does not fit any other way unless I somehow build it in the trunk.

So my dilemma, is that the sub is pointing straight up towards a panel, and a lot of the bass "energy" is soaked up from it.

Is anyone knowledgeable to give me the smallest possible dimensions for 33hz ported box? I suck at numbers, they give me headaches, and I failed alg. twice in college.. lol.

I know that sounds lazy, but sub boxes are not my trade, I would much rather a forum expert show me their idea, since there are people here that love that stuff anyways.

If I would estimate, the box would have to be no more than 17" tall (where the sub is at), and maybe 13-14" deep? The width can be 38" wide.

Would that even suffice to be 3 cu ft. after a type of port is inserted? I can grasp cu ft. but not when a port comes into play.

I am looking at this box, but I am not sure what the tuning is on it:http://www.topedgeonline.com/Single_15_ported_sub_box_p/hb1x15spl.htm

Does anyone know the tuning of that box, or if it would work?

You know if all else fails, I would pay someone to build it if you are interested..

Another note to mention.. Is it even worth fixing, do you think a panel soaks up enough energy from the sub?

Thanks for the help in advance. For people's information, I did try the "search" function, but my internet is slow so I wasn't looking too long, and nor did I find something that would quite describe my problem.

Thanks,

-Chance

Edited by Ktownmazda6

Bump...

Am I making sense to anybody?

Bump...

If your trunk is small and you want to go ported, you should use aeroports. You'll save on quite a bit of space and still achieve the same box size/tuning you want.

Bump...

If your trunk is small and you want to go ported, you should use aeroports. You'll save on quite a bit of space and still achieve the same box size/tuning you want.

Thanks for answering! Now with aeroports, is there a way I can calculate how many/ what size I need to achieve 32-33hz?

Don't use the box you posted in the link thats 3cuft gross and not net so its more like 2.5ft^3 after port and sub displacement. With your dimensions you would be right at the minimum recommended volume after port and driver displacement. Here is one if you'd like to use it.

ktown333hz.png

Don't use the box you posted in the link thats 3cuft gross and not net so its more like 2.5ft^3 after port and sub displacement. With your dimensions you would be right at the minimum recommended volume after port and driver displacement. Here is one if you'd like to use it.

Dude Bromo thank you so much. This is exactly what I am looking for. I was never a numbers guy, so I really appreciate this!!

Thank you both for helping me out I appreciate the good work!

One more question: the white on that diagram is not to be cut correct?

Edited by Ktownmazda6

All that needs to be cut is in the cut list.

All that needs to be cut is in the cut list.

Thought so, but I figured I would double check.

Thanks!

(Answer resolved for this page!) :woot:

what if you went Sub back/port back?

I have a 15" in a camry trunk, fits fine... I realize you have a different car, but the new mazda 6s look like they have pretty big trunks.. Try not to do sub facing up, it will rattle the shit out of your rear deck...

what if you went Sub back/port back?

I have a 15" in a camry trunk, fits fine... I realize you have a different car, but the new mazda 6s look like they have pretty big trunks.. Try not to do sub facing up, it will rattle the shit out of your rear deck...

I rally apologize for such LAAATEE response on this!! 08 was actually the last of the 1st gen. The trunk is deep and wide, but not very tall.

I have been thinking about that lately.. I just do not have box knowledge to make it perfect in height. I never got to cutting the sheets as he recommended above. I still need to give it a shot its just im always working :-(

Believe me I DO NOT want it facing up. It DOES rattle the deck like crazy.. I know this is meant to be in another topic if I ask this but as far as cu ft. and tuning are concerned, does one make it sound louder? Lets say a box tuned at 30 hz and 4 cubes.. will it be louder than a box thats 33 hz at 4 cubes? What happens when you reduce the cu/ft?

I was curious about that.

Sign in to follow this