Sign in to follow this  
Deto1992

Soundstream SPLX 122hx

Just sold my Fi X12 with a fosgate amp and now im looking to buy a new 12. Initially, I was interested in the Bl but after thinking about it, i dont want to spend 300 bucks on a sub(dont have the money right now). So i looked at the SSD which seems like a good sub for a good price. However, onlinecarstereo is offering a soundstream splx 122hx (normally 300) for 200 so i was just wondering if anybody had any experience with both an ssd and an splx or even just an splx.

The SSD is a very solid and capable driver, very underrated imo!

No experiance with the Soundstream.

I would recommend the Fi SSD due to the quality USA hand built customizeable quality!

The soundstream is not a bad sub, I have sold several, but the quality of Soundstream vs FI shows a gap. FI being better the better quality line overall. I have found with SS that it is hit or miss on some products.

Another option that Fi has, you can re-cone the woofer if you ever have a boo-boo with the volume control.

Not sure how Soundstream CS works.

Another option that Fi has, you can re-cone the woofer if you ever have a boo-boo with the volume control.

Not sure how Soundstream CS works.

Specifically stated on Soundstream's SPLX webpage:

Re-Cone Kits Availble

(Contact Parts Office)

As for the subs themselves.....T/S parameter wise they are darn near identical. Fs and Vas are nearly spot on between the two. The SPLX has slightly higher Qes/Qts although close enough that simple production variances could make them nearly identical. The Fi has slightly higher rated Xmax, but the SPLX has slightly more rated Sd (though I'm not sure if the rating methods for these two parameters are identical, although physically speaking the SPL appears to use a slightly smaller surround which would contribute to slightly more Sd)......so overall, the rated Vd of the drivers are within 1db of each other. Quickly modeling them both in WinISD, in identical enclosures with identical power, their response is nearly identical. Close enough to call them equal. Both use 3' VC's, with the added options on the Fi it may have a slight power handling advantage.

I don't know enough about either sub to really speak towards design or quality. But from a simple gaze at the T/S, I'd call it a toss up.

So the general consensus is Fi? haha i should have figured since the is a predominantly Fi forum. Anyway, do you guys think the SSD 12 will be a significant upgrade from the X 12? I'm looking for a fairly noticable improvement on both spl and sq.

Sign in to follow this