marrlonitoy

fully loaded q or stock bl

im stock between these two subs. iv been reading different threads about these two, both are great. i just need opinions what sub would suit my music needs. i listen mostly to r&b, hip hop, alternative and sometimes classicals. for my budget a fully loaded q 12 or a stock bl 12. i'l be powering them with an amp 1500rms and i'l be following the recommended enclosures for these two. thanks, i'l appreciate your advices.

Personally I would get the Q. I like the idea that it can be both in sealed and ported applications and the BL is ported only. I also like the idea of having a sound quality based woofer. That's why I got AA Havocs. As far as just a daily driver goes, personally i'd take the fully loaded Q. If I was chasing numbers, this would be a different story.

well said. 2 completely different woofers. if your looking for a clean sounding woofer go with the Q

I'm on the flip side, if you have the room to do a ported enclosure for the BL, and looking for output, I'd get the BL.

The BL is still a musical driver and sounds good at high output, but if SQ is your main priority then I'd go with the Q.

thanks for the input guys...im going ported with the sub. is there a noticeable difference in sound quality when both are placed in the there optimal enclosures and tuned at 32hz? i want my bass response smooth, low and still be musical. i want the sub to blend well with my front stage. thanks in advance!!!

thanks for the input guys...im going ported with the sub. is there a noticeable difference in sound quality when both are placed in the there optimal enclosures and tuned at 32hz? i want my bass response smooth, low and still be musical. i want the sub to blend well with my front stage. thanks in advance!!!

I believe some people who haven't actually heard a BL, BTL, get into a mindset that the BL and BTL models don't perform musically or up to par with other drivers in the price range, but that they just get really loud.

I've personally owned an 18" BL tuned to 33hz with optimal volume and it sounded very good to me. Kicked ass on tight/fast response, attacks in rock music (metallica, tool), and the lows from rap music were breath taking (literally) :P

May I ask what your front stage is? As long as you have a nice set of midbass drivers crossed on the lower spectrum, say ~60hz-80hz you should be good.

They can easily be blended in with your front stage, but the sub stage can certainly be excessively louder then the front stage. (but that's what a bass knob is for ;)

on my front stage im using boston components. which one is more musical at moderate volumes the q or btl? will a fully loaded q be at par to stock btl in terms of bass quality and spl?

on my front stage im using boston components. which one is more musical at moderate volumes the q or btl? will a fully loaded q be at par to stock btl in terms of bass quality and spl?

up to par with a stock BTL or BL?

Either way, no it will not have the same spl, but likely better SQ if installed correctly.

If you're even considering the BL or BTL then get it. You won't know a difference of sound quality.

sorry...i meant bl :trippy:

any recommendation for volume and tuning for both subs? i know there is an optimal recommended volume and tuning by fi, i just want some added input from your experiences. thanks

stay within those and you'll be fine. I'd go on the larger side of the volume range and tune on the lower side. But that's me. I have done so for the SSD, Q, and BTL.

thanks for the inputs!!! :fing34:

i will be deciding soon just need the cash flow in... :mrspam:

either sub will be a killer. thanks!!!