Sign in to follow this  
///M5

FLAC Format does it work?

Hey any of you try to compare a FLAC lossless file with a real one? I am just starting to rip my music collection to my PC. My thoughts were to rip it twice. The first time in FLAC to backup to DVD and another in MP3 just to leave on the machine. If the lossless truly is such I would think someone would be coming out with a new HU that plays DVD format FLAC discs, but of course that would be logical.

If FLAC sucks is there anything else that might do what I am looking to? The main reason I want to do the FLAC to DVD is in if they change it in the future I don't want to go through the reloading of all the CD's again as it is a serious PITA!

Why not rip the CDs using a more popular Lossless format, such as WMA Lossless ?

I was under the impression that it wasn't really lossless...

Any thoughts on sound cards? I really only need 2 chn, but have no problems buying for the future. A good a/d and d/a is required as my stereo equipment is pretty old school. (My cpu will be connected to an Adcom amp that is currently collecting dust).

I am looking at:

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1

Chaintech AVS-710 (good 2 chn d/a but have no idea on a/d)

M-audio Audiophile

M-audio Revolution 5.1 or 7.1

E-MU 0404

I am willing to give up gaming sounds for music SQ so it won't be an Audigy or X-Fi card. If the Chaintech had a good a/d for recording 2 chn, it would be the choice. $23 at Newegg with a Wolfson DAC for 2 of the analog channels and a good digital out for the future....

A little more research and indeed WMA lossless seems to be the ticket.

As for cards, I think I am down to:

E-Mu 0404

M-Audio Revolution 5.1

Thanks for the help Jmac, I just bought a 0404 and am about to install. Can't wait to hear the difference from my mobo s card.

Creative owns E-Mu, so you just bought yourself another soundblaster.... he he. The M-Audio stuff is really quite nice, a lot of lower-budget (home) studios are using that stuff. If you are a Mac guy, Apple Lossless is also another great choice. FLAC is really the format of choice, but it isnt as widely used, nor is it easy to play back (CPU intensive) which is why most players don't play it!

Creative owns E-Mu, so you just bought yourself another soundblaster.... he he. The M-Audio stuff is really quite nice, a lot of lower-budget (home) studios are using that stuff. If you are a Mac guy, Apple Lossless is also another great choice. FLAC is really the format of choice, but it isnt as widely used, nor is it easy to play back (CPU intensive) which is why most players don't play it!

They do own them, but they don't design them. I know the M-Audio is nice, but the a/d d/a setup on the E-Mu was subjectively labelled as better. I spent a long time on Hydrogen and head fi as well as diyaudio to make sure that my decision was okay. And I really only want 2 chn stereo as I have no use for the 5.1/7.1 formats--those are for the HT room. I just want my pc to be a jukebox for all of my CD's and my vinyl which I have to digitize using the board. 1000 LP's helped make the decision for me...

Those sites you mentioned are some great resources, I always commend the folks who do pre-purchase homework. Archiving is a long, labourious task, I commend you for taking it on though.

Those sites you mentioned are some great resources, I always commend the folks who do pre-purchase homework. Archiving is a long, labourious task, I commend you for taking it on though.

Thanks, I have a "researching problem"....some might call addiction. And those sites are definetely over the top when it comes to computer audio. Couldn't believe how much info there was out there, way, way more than anything I have seen for cars.