tdford5

skar 12's

can or could a skar 12" sub handle bouts 700-800 watts ??? i wanna buy a pair i no everyone says a sundown 12 will but not much on skar subs , im running a kicker1500.1 amp

yes they can take the extra few hundred watts without a problem just be conservative with your gain and you will be fine. However, with that being said, you should probably add some more info if you want any additional advice.

I am running 750 watts RMS to one SKAR right now in a ported box with absolutely no problems.

:morepower1:

I am doing 8 on like 5,000 watts and they should handle it fine

Kevin, the owner has 4 on one sundown 2500 and they sound great

skar is the sa-12 step brother man . it will take 700-800 and want more if you no what your doing

Just curious, have you ever used one, or even had one in front of you?

skar is the sa-12 step brother man . it will take 700-800 and want more if you no what your doing

i had both jacob i love sundown im using the skars now and the sundowns in my altima

i had both jacob i love sundown im using the skars now and the sundowns in my altima

I wouldn't exactly say Skar's will "want more" at 700-800 watts. They'll be content.

I wouldn't exactly say Skar's will "want more" at 700-800 watts. They'll be content.

It greatly depends on the size of the box anyways.

It greatly depends on the size of the box anyways.

So they are infinitely capable of thermal handling?

It's much easier to pass the linear limits than thermal limits, so long as you're using clean power, that's what I'm after. Hell, I could make the 1st gen Mach 5 IXL go past xmax with just 250 watts in the box I was using. Granted, I knew I was just using a bridged 4 channel for the subs so I built the box accordingly.

Edited by RAM_Designs

It's much easier to pass the linear limits than thermal limits, so long as you're using clean power, that's what I'm after. Hell, I could make the 1st gen Mach 5 IXL go past xmax with just 250 watts in the box I was using. Granted, I knew I was just using a bridged 4 channel for the subs so I built the box accordingly.

But that's not always the case. If you can physically max it out on 250 watts, the box is too big or tuned too high. If you use a small box, you can thermal it before you reach mechanical limits. THAT is the point I was making. Not every box is yours.

But that's not always the case. If you can physically max it out on 250 watts, the box is too big or tuned too high. If you use a small box, you can thermal it before you reach mechanical limits. THAT is the point I was making. Not every box is yours.

The box was big, on purpose, tuned to 28hz. The point I was making is that the amount of power you need is greatly dependent on the box.

And to answer the OP's question, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the Kicker 1500.1 on a pair of Skar subs. You could use a 5kw amp if you wanted, you just have to set your gain accordingly.

Edited by RAM_Designs