mrazandrewm

SQ setup in Ford Ranger

This will be a clean sounding system. Sound clarity is my number 1 concern. But I would like to bump it up a bit now and then.

Clarity & bump means more budget.

I can't recommend other audio brands (conflict of interest)

You shouldn't recommend anything anyways as your e-boner towards what you run is absurd.

KAC-5204 (Kenwood Amp)

CWM-6KIT (Cadence 6.5 Component Speakers)

Planet Audio AC1500.1M (Mono Amp)

(2) RE Audio SRX 10D4 (2 10" subs)

Total comes to $425

First budget savings would be to go to a single sub with more cone area, but impossible for us to recommend without knowing box size constraints.

I am generally an amp is an amp guy, but the Kenwoods lately I have seen are not worth owning.

In your budget you should also be shopping used. It will help a ton.

I realize you were hoping for recommendations, but availability is not so easy and your budget is rather constrained. You are starting to go down the right path though :)

Thanks M5. Are Cadence component speakers any good? I think I found a good deal on a new pair of Cadence ZRS65KS 6.5" for only $55. I do have an amp that is powering the front speakers in my truck, but the problem is that I don't know what the RMS rating of the amp is. It was included in the Tremor package from Ford and Pioneer. Should I not bother with a 2 channel amp to power the front component speakers for now (I could buy it later on if my amp doesn't do the speakers justice)? The sub enclosure would be going in the cab of the truck behind the front seats. What enclosure would you recommend? I was thinking of getting 2 subs because my one that's behind the seats now is struggling to keep up with the Heavy Metal genre and Techno. Would 2 subs be better than 1? If I went to a ported enclosure, I would get one or two 10" subs. If I went sealed, then I would get two 12" subs. I would also build the enclosure to spec.

I can't help you on the cadence components, but you need to consider more than rms rating on the stock amp in your truck. More importantly what ohm are the speakers that are installed now? Do some research about the Tremor package. That amp may not work at all with a standard 4 ohm speaker. Factory stuff often times runs at odd ohm loads. Now on the subs. Since your on such a tight budget, i would look at one larger sub instead of two smaller subs. It'll be cheaper. So maybe one 12 ported or one 15 sealed. Remember that subs only get slightly more expensive as they get bigger and cone area has a big effect on output.

This will be a clean sounding system. Sound clarity is my number 1 concern. But I would like to bump it up a bit now and then.

Clarity & bump means more budget.

I can't recommend other audio brands (conflict of interest)

You shouldn't recommend anything anyways as your e-boner towards what you run is absurd.

KAC-5204 (Kenwood Amp)

CWM-6KIT (Cadence 6.5 Component Speakers)

Planet Audio AC1500.1M (Mono Amp)

(2) RE Audio SRX 10D4 (2 10" subs)

Total comes to $425

First budget savings would be to go to a single sub with more cone area, but impossible for us to recommend without knowing box size constraints.

I am generally an amp is an amp guy, but the Kenwoods lately I have seen are not worth owning.

In your budget you should also be shopping used. It will help a ton.

I realize you were hoping for recommendations, but availability is not so easy and your budget is rather constrained. You are starting to go down the right path though :)

Thanks M5. Are Cadence component speakers any good? I think I found a good deal on a new pair of Cadence ZRS65KS 6.5" for only $55. I do have an amp that is powering the front speakers in my truck, but the problem is that I don't know what the RMS rating of the amp is. It was included in the Tremor package from Ford and Pioneer. Should I not bother with a 2 channel amp to power the front component speakers for now (I could buy it later on if my amp doesn't do the speakers justice)? The sub enclosure would be going in the cab of the truck behind the front seats. What enclosure would you recommend? I was thinking of getting 2 subs because my one that's behind the seats now is struggling to keep up with the Heavy Metal genre and Techno. Would 2 subs be better than 1? If I went to a ported enclosure, I would get one or two 10" subs. If I went sealed, then I would get two 12" subs. I would also build the enclosure to spec.

I can't help you on the cadence components, but you need to consider more than rms rating on the stock amp in your truck. More importantly what ohm are the speakers that are installed now? Do some research about the Tremor package. That amp may not work at all with a standard 4 ohm speaker. Factory stuff often times runs at odd ohm loads. Now on the subs. Since your on such a tight budget, i would look at one larger sub instead of two smaller subs. It'll be cheaper. So maybe one 12 ported or one 15 sealed. Remember that subs only get slightly more expensive as they get bigger and cone area has a big effect on output.

This is what I got from a ford brochure...

TREMOR Package# — Includes 510-watt Pioneer AM/FM stereo/6-disc in-dash CD changer with MP3 capability, (4) 6" x 8" coaxial speakers and rear-floor-mounted enclosure box for 10" bass subwoofer and multi-channel amplifier
So it sounds like the speakers have to be 4 ohms.

Here's an option with prices for everything (mainly from Amazon (free-shipping),

Cadence ZRS65KS 6.5" $55.00

Rockford Fosgate R150-2 Prime $85.00

Planet Audio AC1500.1M $84.00

(2) RE Audio SRX10D2 $176.00

DB Link PK4Z $30.00

Boss Audio KIT-2 $12.25

Total $442.25

(With 2 channel amp)

or how about this,

Cadence ZRS65KS 6.5" $55.00

Planet Audio AC1500.1M $84.00

(2) RE Audio SRX10D2 $176.00

DB Link PK4Z $30.00

Total $345.00

(Without 2 channel amp)

Which option would you choose?

Edited by mrazandrewm

Well if I was going to put together a budget system. I'd get

mb quart dsc-4125 4 channel amp $150

Alpine type r 6.5" components spr17s $100-150

One SKAR 12" vvx sub in a ported box $200

Around $500. I'd run the alpines off 2 channels of the dsc4125 and bridge the back 2 channels to give the sub 500 watts.

Here's a link to the sub deal, one Skar vvx-12 in a custom box shipped for $200.

If you can't find the mb quart amp, something similar would be ok. I just know that amp is well made, makes rated rms power and is cheap.

And the type r components always seem to get great reviews, get loud and sound good doing it.

I could get 2 SRX 12D2s for the same price as 2 SRX 10D2s. would that be better? The enclosure is free for me to build.

Edited by mrazandrewm

I think you are ignoring the best advice here so far. Considering you are budget limited you should only run one sub.

Well if I was going to put together a budget system. I'd get

mb quart dsc-4125 4 channel amp $150

Alpine type r 6.5" components spr17s $100-150

One SKAR 12" vvx sub in a ported box $200

Around $500. I'd run the alpines off 2 channels of the dsc4125 and bridge the back 2 channels to give the sub 500 watts.

^

That would actually be a nice little set up and should meet your goals across the board.

I think you are ignoring the best advice here so far. Considering you are budget limited you should only run one sub.

So one sub would be better than two? Have you heard if Cadence is a good brand for component speakers? Also, what about Skar subs; are they any good?

So one sub would be better than two? Have you heard if Cadence is a good brand for component speakers? Also, what about Skar subs; are they any good?

In your budget 1 >> 2, on top of that think of the space you have. Crazy to force fit something when you aren't at the right price point.

Skar subs are fine, but the owner of the company may not be. I am sure I wouldn't do business with him. Cadence? That is personal preference, I'd go listen to some if I were you.

The latest RE subs I've heard did not impress me whatsoever. Personally I'd choose something else, and run 1 12" ported. Never heard any Cadence components, but I have heard they are pretty nice for the price. Good luck man, I'm sure you'll find something sooner or later.

Would the Skar sub out perform the RE Audio SRX or SEX 12" sub?

"perform" is a strange term. You requested an SQ setup which by default means you hardly need a sub. Almost anything will do, the box is WAY more important. I'd still prefer to see you buy from someone other than Kevin.

Then I'll go with the RE sub. Just one 12" in a 1.5 ft^3 ported enclosue at 30 Hz. Wouldn't I need a subsonic filter on the amp for the ported box?

If your tuning that low you could probably get away with not not having an ssf. But for some peace of mind you could drop tuning to 28hz.

If your tuning that low you could probably get away with not not having an ssf. But for some peace of mind you could drop tuning to 28hz.

So if I tune the enclosure down that low I wouldn't need an amp with a subsonic filter on it? Then I might as well use a 4-channel amp to power the sub and front stage. :morepower1: