sittdogg

not to impressed

I have a soundstream tarantula tr880/2 amp(880rms) and now a soundstream splx 12" 750rms. I have 4 ga amp wires and 10 ga speaker wire, all on a alpine headunit. trunk is dynamated.

I just got this sub off ebay after selling my jbl 15wgti. I didnt have much space and I figured I could get a 12" to pound as hard as a 15" I've saw guys at comps do it. But with this soundstream sub I'm not impressed. It came with a cheap particle board 2.3 ft. air space ported box, I plan on getting a nice box. the 15" hit a lot harder then the 12 in just as crappy a box. If anyone out there can give me some pointers on how to get this 12 to sound like a 15 please let me know. let me know if you think this sub is capable of being as loud as a 15"

thanks for responses

I have a soundstream tarantula tr880/2 amp(880rms) and now a soundstream splx 12" 750rms. I have 4 ga amp wires and 10 ga speaker wire, all on a alpine headunit. trunk is dynamated.

I just got this sub off ebay after selling my jbl 15wgti. I didnt have much space and I figured I could get a 12" to pound as hard as a 15" I've saw guys at comps do it. But with this soundstream sub I'm not impressed. It came with a cheap particle board 2.3 ft. air space ported box, I plan on getting a nice box. the 15" hit a lot harder then the 12 in just as crappy a box. If anyone out there can give me some pointers on how to get this 12 to sound like a 15 please let me know. let me know if you think this sub is capable of  being as loud as a 15"

thanks for responses

well you CAN make the 12" as loud.... wacha need is a LARGE ported (prolly to SS's specs) box tuned to 35hz (if you like to listen to music) and use 3/4" MDF for the wood.

You got rid of the JBL for that???!!!

Ya, I did'nt like the ohm configuration of the jbl. It had dual 6 ohm v.c.'s. hard to match an amp to it, did'nt want to buy an amp so it went. So I figured I'd go all soundstream. The splx seemed the best thing ss offered, besides the xxx.

so does any one think this sub is capable of my demands, or should this sub go to. I've been experimenting with systems to get the optimum sound from this amp, still have lots of work to do.

The box I have is 2.3 cu. ft. ported(pictured to the left), I'm not sure of the tuning frequency. The box is hella chitty though. looks ok but its made of particle board, so theres flexation and box noise. By the way any feedback on slot ported boxes, obviously this ones crappy, do they compare to normal ported boxes.

Edited by sittdogg

The box I have is 2.3 cu. ft. ported(pictured to the left), I'm not sure of the tuning frequency. The box is hella chitty though. looks ok but its made of particle board, so theres flexation and box noise. By the way any feedback on slot ported boxes, obviously this ones crappy, do they compare to normal ported boxes.

george bush word? :lol2:

wow, those gti's are nice. shoulda held onto that guy.