kryptonitewhite

Anyone know the differences between the 3HP, RE HC, and 1803 motors?

Hey guys, I want to rebuild my 1803s with 5 or more spiders... be it very loose or very tight spiders to kryptonitewhite-proof them. When I replaced the AP30001D something amazing happened... the van started playing as it was supposed to. Most incredible amzing low end output. Air movement that no one would believe unless they actually sat in it, but if you did, rear-end leakage was destined to occure. My family and I had a blast for 2 days, so many looks of aw and amazement and sometimes fear when suddenly things would be recorded louder and lower. Looks of "is the van going to explode? Are we going to die?"

Then, as it just always has to happen, there was a quiet song. Waited it out...nope, not just an intro. Lets fast forward a bit to be sure cuz it sounds neat, but it's so quiet. Still quiet, still sounds good. Let's just turn it up. up. OK, a hair more. Cruisin. Still quiet, but sounds good so what the heck. OH MY GOD WE ARE GOING TO DIE! THE WIND! THE NOSIE! THE VAN IS COMING AP.....

2 coils torn from the spiders at the triple joint. 2 survived.

So I want to recone them with as many spiders as I can fit. Make them all loose to stay as close to TS params as possibe, yet have 5 to pull tight if they get moving too far? Would 5 loose spiders be enough to keep 3kW of fury from ripping things apart and buy me time to flip the kill switch in times like these?

Or would I need 5 or more stiff... really mess up my efficiency? really kill my TS parameters?

Well Scott at Evo got excited. Said he rebuilds TC Sounds 3HPs/RE HCs all the time to take ungodly amounts of power. Jim told me they are basically 3HPs/RE HCs as well.

But Scott at Fi, ya know, the guy that designed them, built them, and reconed the ones I have now... well he says these cant be rebuilt big. Tight gap, not enough motor to overcome extra spiders.

Then Scott at Evo says "well as far as the 3HPs and RE HCs, they have huge gaps and get turned into monsters all the time..."

In addition, Scott of Evo wants $165 per recone. We all know I can't even afford a $50 RS meter or $150 bracket for my 2nd alt... let alone 4 recones and some glue shipped.

KW needs to quit and sell everything cuz he wont take no ones advice and he keeps breaking **** :(

Sounds like it was a crap triple joint, crap spiders, a crappy builder, or a combination of all three.

Seems like you need to learn how to control the subs if it wasn't bad parts or work.

3HP has a thin top plate for such a large motor which can be an issue at times...

Andrew

Interesting how home theater forums, every post is valid and answers the question, and car audio is full of shit talking little kiddies... was the question ( is the gap smaller on an 1803 than on a HC or 3HP?) even answered?

Andrew, what is the thickness of the top plate on a 3HP? Mine is just over 1.25", maybe 1 5/16th?

best I could get with a tape measure is 3" ID on the coil, 3 1/4" Od, top plate is just over 1.25" maybe 1 5/16th? The slugs are 7 3/4" diameter.

Sounds like it was a crap triple joint, crap spiders, a crappy builder, or a combination of all three.

"Scott at Fi, ya know, the guy that designed them, built them, and reconed the ones I have now"

Pretty sure Scott didn't fuck it up.

Interesting how home theater forums, every post is valid and answers the question, and car audio is full of shit talking little kiddies...

This is where we are tempted to respond with "Great! Then keep yourself on those forums that way you're their problem and not ours".

:peepwall:

was the question ( is the gap smaller on an 1803 than on a HC or 3HP?) even answered?

I don't see where that question was ever asked.

I see random thoughts from the mind of Kryptonite, a question about spiders, then some quotes from Scott @ Evo & Scott @ Fi, followed by your complaining about being broke.....and then finished it off with probably the truest statement your fingers have ever typed. I don't see a question about gap sizes or motor comparisons.

So, despite the thread title, the only question I see that you actually posed was in regards to spiders, not motors. You posted some quotes from a discussion about motors, but you didn't actually post a question relating to the motors. You asked a question about spiders.

To answer your question with a question.......what in the hell is it that you actually want to know. You ask a question about spiders, but want answers about motors?

It sounds like you want someone to design an entire subwoofer for you that will hold up to your abuse. The simple answer is; stop abusing shit. You shouldn't need to stupid-proof the subwoofer. There are obviously larger issues involved which are not related to the subwoofers, the subwoofers are just the victim.

But from all of your previous threads it seems you have a sense that you already know everything you need to know about achieving your goals. So you should be able to figure this one out on your own, since most of our suggestions will fall on deaf ears anyways. You complain about our responses; think about your questions, posts and threads.....maybe it'll become a little more clear as to why our responses are what they are. You ask for advice, don't take it and get pissed off, then come back complaining when shit breaks. We give more advice, you don't take it and complain that we're being pricks, you break more shit and then come back complaining about it....and the cycle repeats again. You should realize by now the problem lies with you; not us.

Interesting how home theater forums, every post is valid and answers the question, and car audio is full of shit talking little kiddies...

This is where we are tempted to respond with "Great! Then keep yourself on those forums that way you're their problem and not ours".

:peepwall:

was the question ( is the gap smaller on an 1803 than on a HC or 3HP?) even answered?

I don't see where that question was ever asked.

I see random thoughts from the mind of Kryptonite, a question about spiders, then some quotes from Scott @ Evo & Scott @ Fi, followed by your complaining about being broke.....and then finished it off with probably the truest statement your fingers have ever typed. I don't see a question about gap sizes or motor comparisons.

So, despite the thread title, the only question I see that you actually posed was in regards to spiders, not motors. You posted some quotes from a discussion about motors, but you didn't actually post a question relating to the motors. You asked a question about spiders.

To answer your question with a question.......what in the hell is it that you actually want to know. You ask a question about spiders, but want answers about motors?

It sounds like you want someone to design an entire subwoofer for you that will hold up to your abuse. The simple answer is; stop abusing shit. You shouldn't need to stupid-proof the subwoofer. There are obviously larger issues involved which are not related to the subwoofers, the subwoofers are just the victim.

But from all of your previous threads it seems you have a sense that you already know everything you need to know about achieving your goals. So you should be able to figure this one out on your own, since most of our suggestions will fall on deaf ears anyways. You complain about our responses; think about your questions, posts and threads.....maybe it'll become a little more clear as to why our responses are what they are. You ask for advice, don't take it and get pissed off, then come back complaining when shit breaks. We give more advice, you don't take it and complain that we're being pricks, you break more shit and then come back complaining about it....and the cycle repeats again. You should realize by now the problem lies with you; not us.

I am very open minded, got nothin against nobody, but I am sorry you like it in the butt

I don't like double negatives. I would suggest not taking someones word over Scott's word as no one knows those drivers better then him, especially when that other person is trying to sell you something.

"Scott at Fi, ya know, the guy that designed them, built them, and reconed the ones I have now"

Pretty sure Scott didn't fuck it up.

Or as added after my post, someone pushing the drivers beyond their limits. It is not like Scott to add 5 spiders to a driver that doesn't need it, I don't quite believe that.