Sign in to follow this  
Curtis96olds

Difference on XP series alts

im about to order an alt for my 2005 dodge dakota 3.7L (DC website only lists alts for the 4.7L V8) but they happen to take the same exact alternator anways.

so im 100% sure i want to go with the XP series, but they have a 250 amp alt and a 270 amp alt, and i cant really see any other difference other then 20 amps, is it really worth the extra 80 bucks for 20 more amps? that is unless there is more of a difference between the two then i saw.

XP compared to what other line?

I know the XP line has temp monitoring which will back off current output to protect the alternator from burning up...

And i believe it has a dual rectifier in it? A dual rectifier or twice the required diodes inside to allow the rectifier to last longer under abuse.

XP compared to what other line?

I know the XP line has temp monitoring which will back off current output to protect the alternator from burning up...

And i believe it has a dual rectifier in it? A dual rectifier or twice the required diodes inside to allow the rectifier to last longer under abuse.

im taking about comparing the 270 amp XP series alt for my truck to the 250 amp XP series alt for my truck, https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2005~Dodge~Dakota~4.7L-V8/alternators/xp-series/13912-270-xp.html and https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2005~Dodge~Dakota~4.7L-V8/alternators/xp-series/13912-250-xp.html to me, from reading the descriptions the only difference is 20 amps, for 80 dollars more, i guess im just confused as to why they would make 2 alternators in the same series, that have very minimal differences, but a large price difference.

Edited by curt96olds

Oh.. that's odd...

That's something they will have to answer..

Price difference between the two listed alts is $50.

wow thats weird, im glad you said something cause if you look at this page https://www.dcpowerinc.com/alternators/xp-series.html which is the page right before the actual item, it lists the alt for 629.00

i also want to hear from one of the DC power guys to make sure that the alt for the 2005 dodge dakota 4.7L also fits the 3.7L engine, i work at a parts store and today i looked up both vehicles and they both take the same part number for the alt, but DC power doesnt have one listed for the 3.7L, but it should be the same alt, the 4.7 and 3.7 are the same block but with 2 less pistons on the back, they take the same egine accessories i believe, i just want confirmation that it will fit before i do order it.

Edited by curt96olds

wow thats weird, im glad you said something cause if you look at this page https://www.dcpowerinc.com/alternators/xp-series.html which is the page right before the actual item, it lists the alt for 629.00

I see what you mean, that is weird. One price on the listing, another on the actual product page.

I'd also double check that they are the same alt types for the same vehicle. Just because it says dodge and or jeep doesn't mean they are all the same (although they vary well could be)

I know for 50 bucks I'd get the slightly bigger one.

I see what you mean, that is weird. One price on the listing, another on the actual product page.

I'd also double check that they are the same alt types for the same vehicle. Just because it says dodge and or jeep doesn't mean they are all the same (although they vary well could be)

I know for 50 bucks I'd get the slightly bigger one.

they need to fix their website in a few areas definitely if you go to https://www.dcpowerinc.com/vaf/product/list/?category=%3F&year=5&make=79&model=299&engine=687 and click on the first on (270 amp one) you can clearly see that before you click it, it says 2005 dodge dakota 4.7L, then when you click it and go to the item page, it says 2005 dodge RAM 4.7L...im losing my confidence in buying an alt from these guys now, there website is really messed up.

It's a lot to keep track of on the site, and they are a super super busy company. Sometimes hard to get a hold of.

But their product IS worth it. I promise you that.

It's a lot to keep track of on the site, and they are a super super busy company. Sometimes hard to get a hold of.

yeah i know they make an amazing alt, and its really my only option for my truck, but the website is kind of making me doubt wether or not im buying the alt that fits my truck or not

yeah i know they make an amazing alt, and its really my only option for my truck, but the website is kind of making me doubt wether or not im buying the alt that fits my truck or not

I would definitely get a hold of them before ordering. Or order over the phone. Although it may take a couple tries to get someone on the line :P

I would definitely get a hold of them before ordering. Or order over the phone. Although it may take a couple tries to get someone on the line :P

well a month ago when i was looking at buying this truck, i emailed them and asked them if they had an alt for the 3.7L engine and they said they 3.7: and 4.7L engine took the same exact alternator, and that they just hadnt gotten around to adding it to their online alternator listings, but he assured me that if i bought the one off the website for the 4.7L engine that it would fit it.

Then it sounds like your covered :)

yup i think i am feeling better about it, i just ordered it, i just hope that im not one of the customers that seems to wait a month or so to get my alt :P and when i do get it, i hope to god that it fits lol

yup i think i am feeling better about it, i just ordered it, i just hope that im not one of the customers that seems to wait a month or so to get my alt :P and when i do get it, i hope to god that it fits lol

I certainly see some people get theirs in a few days, while others takes weeks or even months.

I know when I ordered mine, it took about a month, but it wasn't that bad considering it's a custom built product. I ran a saz1500d with no additional batteries, my voltage would just float around in the 14s like no big deal :D

I certainly see some people get theirs in a few days, while others takes weeks or even months.

I know when I ordered mine, it took about a month, but it wasn't that bad considering it's a custom built product. I ran a saz1500d with no additional batteries, my voltage would just float around in the 14s like no big deal :D

i decided on the 250 amp XP series alt, ill be running a AQ 2200D with that alt and a kinetic HC2000 under the hood, im hoping to not drop below 14 volts full tilt, going by what everyone says, i should stay at 14v no problem.

i decided on the 250 amp XP series alt, ill be running a AQ 2200D with that alt and a kinetic HC2000 under the hood, im hoping to not drop below 14 volts full tilt, going by what everyone says, i should stay at 14v no problem.

To answer your original question, the only difference is the output, 20 amps on top, ~10 or so on bottom. You made the right choice and got the best bang for the buck, use the other $80 on teh audios or have some fun with it. That said, because I know we have 270's in stock (250's are usually built to order) and that's what you'll get shipped, and it will get shipped tomorrow (Friday).. Thanks again for the order and I look forward to a (hopefully) positive review.. Rob

Free upgrade for this cat Rob? Very nice brother.

:)

J

To answer your original question, the only difference is the output, 20 amps on top, ~10 or so on bottom. You made the right choice and got the best bang for the buck, use the other $80 on teh audios or have some fun with it. That said, because I know we have 270's in stock (250's are usually built to order) and that's what you'll get shipped, and it will get shipped tomorrow (Friday).. Thanks again for the order and I look forward to a (hopefully) positive review.. Rob

wow, i wasn't expecting that at all, but i greatly appreciate that! i will definitely review the alt once i receive/install it :)

Just fcking awesome right there... Now I just wish I could afford that alternator for my Camry and since they discontinued the HP line for my car I'm stuck in the XP category which is good and badd... Let us know how it works out OP... :drink40:

Sometimes it just takes time. Patience is a virtue.

Okay so after reading this post I believe i know what's causing the incorrect name to appear on the product. Basically we have a ton of products so I've been working on speeding the page load times on the site up. I actually increased them by about 150% if not more. Basically I have a caching system in place that remember what to show the visitor without having to dynamically recalculate everything each page load. So when someone visited lets say a dodge ram for the year 2000 that year's instance was cached and when you went to do your actual product with a different year make model it showed the previous persons vehicle that fits the same alternator. I will have to reprogram some of my caching logic this week. Thanks for bringing this bug to my attention.

Okay so after reading this post I believe i know what's causing the incorrect name to appear on the product. Basically we have a ton of products so I've been working on speeding the page load times on the site up. I actually increased them by about 150% if not more. Basically I have a caching system in place that remember what to show the visitor without having to dynamically recalculate everything each page load. So when someone visited lets say a dodge ram for the year 2000 that year's instance was cached and when you went to do your actual product with a different year make model it showed the previous persons vehicle that fits the same alternator. I will have to reprogram some of my caching logic this week. Thanks for bringing this bug to my attention.

so does that mean i may have somehow ordered the wrong alternator? or does the one you shipped fit a 2005 dodge dakota 3.7/4.7

Did you see a black cat? then another one that looked just like it?

If you did, then it's a Deja Vu.

It happens when they change something..

On our systems it Shows the correct fitment that you chose. It's just stuck on the front end. I almost have the issue fixed for the front end though.

Sign in to follow this