Sign in to follow this  
sittdogg

sound deadener and heat

I have a aouple of rattles left to get out of my car. I bought some 60 mil dynamat type sound deadener off ebay. one of the last rattles I have is the heat deflector that is mounted 2 1/2" away from my muffler. it probably doesn't get near as hot as the muffler, but I want to get some feedback on it before I put any on the top of the deflector. does anyone know how much heat these deadeners can take safely. Should I put the deadener on the deflector?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks Josh

Thanks for the link. It will help a lot. I may have to buy a small amount just to do the deflector. I have the b-quiet extreme and its not ok for temps ubove 160. But I wonder how hot the deflector gets?

Thanks for the link. It will help a lot. I may have to buy a small amount just to do the deflector. I have the b-quiet extreme and its not ok for temps ubove 160. But I wonder how hot the deflector gets?

if you have an oven thermometer or something you could always just measure it

my $0.02

It will get hotter than any deadener will be able to withstand. If it's rattling, it's probably due to a broken weld. Best thing to do is to check and make sure it is secure on the muffler/tailpipe, wherever it is. If not, I'd suggest taking it somewhere and having it welded back securely or doing it yourself if it's feasible.

If it is just naturally floppy try and reinforce it or add mass to it anyway you can with metal. I am sure when you measure with a thermometer you are going to see well beyond the glue holding range.

I need to get up under there and see exactly why its rattleing. A weld shop would'nt charge much to weld something that small. Then again there are 2 kinds of deadener that can withstand over 500 degrees. If only I could get my hands on a small package of one of them.