Sign in to follow this  
Brett_the_Vandal

Alt Help

Hi i'm starting a build, and I'm not sure if I'm going to need to upgrade my electrical system in my truck at all. I was hoping someone could tell me whether or not I should do so or not.

I'm going to be installing an FI Q12" running probably an Audio Pipe 1500 in a box tuned to around 32~34 Hz. Installed in the back seat of a 1994 Ford Ranger with bone stock everything. Except a Clarion FZ409 Head unit. Which i'm still adjusting to. lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Big 3 for sure, nobody really knows if you will need to upgrade anything else. I think you have a 3G alt in there, same as my Bronco, head to some junkyards and see if they have any wrecked police cars or ambulances (Fords obviously) with the same bolt pattern and get an alt off one of them (ambulance will put out more). Ambulances are sometimes hard to come by but a police Crown Victoria will put out more than your stock Ranger and should be easy to find.

Basically any car that would need a higher output alt cause of a lot of lights and such? long as it would match mine pretty close.

You're correct.

Anytime, good luck with your search. Let us know if you find anything.

I did a little research and found that my alt is stock with 95amps at idle i assume. and on another website it said that with 95amps idle it had like 130amps driving. Then i decided to look at some other cars. My old car was a taurus SHO which i know i could get an alt off of in the yard. it says its a 120amp alt on autozone. not sure what driving amps would be. But i had a puny system in that car and it dimmed the lights and probably screwed that amp. Eh. Kicker anyway. Not worth much. Gotta start somewhere. lol. So it makes me wonder if that alt was worth much.

Kicker makes quality amplifiers. If you have some extra cash lying around, DC Power is having a sale today, 10% off and the alts to fit our applications are cheaper than most others to begin with.

The system was good. Not doggin on it. I just think it was ran poorly long before i got it. So when i bought it it was ready to go. and i treated it well. and traded for a ps3. lol. But on topic. I'll definitely look into DC. And i just spent the majority of my money on recone and goodies from FI. lol. Then i need to buy the amp. and the alt will fall in place as necessary.