Sign in to follow this  
Stumbo

So i just purchased my RLPs

Cliffnots for those who dont like to hear me blab:

2 12" RLP dual 2 ohm.

Pre-built 3.3cuft box. (single cab silverado)

To port, or not to port?

If ported, will be 2x 4" ports, how long? Polyfill?

SQ is the main concern, but spl should follow.

Infinite power available. (almost)

I suck at math.

WinIsd hates me.

My cat's breath smells like cat food

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just put in my order for a pair of 12" rlp dual 2ohms. I have a couple questions regarding my enclosure...

They will be installed in my silverado single cab. I already have an enclosure built, its size comes out to about 3.3 cu ft, which is pretty damn big for a truck like mine (ahhhh, the beauty of fiberglass).

Now i am stuggling with the old age debate, to port, or not to port.

Sound quality is my main concern, however, my reasoning for upgrading from my last subs, is because they just didnt have the output that I wanted (dayton HO RF 12's).

As for power, I am almost embarrassed to say, I have a pair of hifonics 1500's available that I am probably going to run, so I am looking at about 1200 watts per sub. I know this is overkill, but i have pretty good self control over the gain knob.

Ive plugged in the drivers specs into winisd several times, but i keep ending up with some jacked up numbers that just dont make any since. And when I add polyfill to the equation, things just get more confusing....

Also, due to the shape of the enclosure (wedge) I dont have the means to build a squar port, round is a must :nopity:

Thanks guys, any input would be greatly appriciated. I know im asking a lot. Ive been scrathing my head over this for some time now, and im expecting the drivers to be delivered pretty soon, I want to be prepaired when they get here.

Thanks again, cant wait to hear som input!

3.3 may be big for a truck like yours but not for porting dual Rlp's. I assume you mean gross volume which should be near perfect for sealed and lots of SQ! Is it 3.3cuft gross or net?--actually either way you do not have enough volume for porting those subs

Since you are using that box and I am guessing it is before displacement of sub. I would suggest just using it sealed. If you want to go ported you are going to need the box built to fit your subs and truck(IMO). Trying to port that sealed box is probably not the best idea. But others more experienced than me may see otherwise

Edited by allenzo

What are your inputs on using polyfil to increase the effective size. At 1.25lbs/ft of poly I should be able to simulate a box with an internal volume of 2.0 ft......

SEALED with all that power is gonna be sweet, you dont need to port them.most people port to gain some output, but at the expense of sq. with 2400 wrms you dont have that problem :rockwoot:

f it, im goin sealed.

Thanks for the input guys, ive never used a sealed setup before, however, ive also never ran a potent driver like this before either.

i first had my rlp in 1.5@35hz and i loved it, but i got it in a bigger box to gain some spl, i would def port it with 2 4" ports. and dont waste your time with polyfill its a real pain in ported boxes.

got them, installed them, and they seem sweet

Need more time though and need to reinforce my box, doesnt like to be sealed to much though.

got them, installed them, and they seem sweet

Need more time though and need to reinforce my box, doesnt like to be sealed to much though.

The box doesn't like to be sealed? I don't quite understand...

Bracing is a definite necessity, unless of course it is in my box. He, he...overbuilt! Braced anyway.

I think the RL-ps would benifit from going small ported if you can

my rl-p's are lovin the 1.5 ft^3 i've given to each of them (tuned to 34hz)... it's mike's own recommendation, and it's great. barely fit in my trunk too...if i had an SUV or something though I probably would have gone a tad bigger and lower..