Sign in to follow this  
Ryan916

12 Xcon Amp

I'm looking at getting an AQ2200, now I don't think it is too much for the sub when it's broken in, but what about breaking it in? Just keep it low for a while?

Thanks

No need for being easy on the driver, let it rip.

I'm looking at getting an AQ2200, now I don't think it is too much for the sub when it's broken in, but what about breaking it in? Just keep it low for a while?

Thanks

The "break in" period of woofers is a wives tail lol.

Let it rip :)

Keeping power low while trying to "break in" a loudspeaker is actually counterproductive to the goal. The only way to "break in" a driver is to actually exercise the suspension. The most effective method to "break in" a speaker is to run the speaker free air and drive it to Xmax for a period of time, though this is completely unnecessary in most situations.

Moral of the story is to plug it in and play it like you normally would. The subwoofer will break in naturally with normal usage, and except in some limited circumstances the differences between pre-break in and post-break in performance won't be audible anyways.

Whether or not that amplifier is too much power depends more on the enclosure than anything. But you can always turn the amp down some to keep things under control if it does turn out to be too much for your specific circumstance.....but don't worry about turning it down expressly for some arbitrary "break in" period. That's useless.

EDIT: Damn, ya'll be fast posters. When I started typing there weren't any replies.

Just play as normal and it will break in gradually, and pay attention to the sub woofer when setting the gains. As I have said in the past, I always choose features and quality over power. So don't feel like you need to run over rms.