Sign in to follow this  
DylanH

What do you guys think?

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• 6 12's sealed
    • single 18 ported

What would you rather do? 6 cheapish 12's in a sealed box or 1 awesome 18 in a decently big ported box? Both would be on the same power (2500 rms) But 6 12's has alot more cone area but a sealed box. 18 has less cone area but a ported box 18 would be a bit cheaper and better quality. But 6 12's have more cone area lol. So what do you guys think? If you have any other suggestions, I have up to 8 cubic feet before displacements. Have 2500 rms. Thinking bout running the Zcon or something similar for the 18. The 12's would be infinitys

Personally I would rather have an SSA product.

What would you rather do? 6 cheapish 12's in a sealed box or 1 awesome 18 in a decently big ported box? Both would be on the same power (2500 rms) But 6 12's has alot more cone area but a sealed box. 18 has less cone area but a ported box 18 would be a bit cheaper and better quality. But 6 12's have more cone area lol. So what do you guys think? If you have any other suggestions, I have up to 8 cubic feet before displacements. Have 2500 rms. Thinking bout running the Zcon or something similar for the 18. The 12's would be infinitys

What is your goal, budget, vehicle, experience? And how is your electrical?

Goal-Loud daily

Budget-Cheap lol $500

Vehicle-2000 Ford Ranger Extended cab no wall!

Experience-Not a crazy amount but I know a little more than the basics I guess lol I know how to set my gains if thats what your wondering

Electrical as of right now is just big 3 plan on adding a nice battery up front and going from there

Goal-Loud daily

Budget-Cheap lol $500

Experience-Not a crazy amount but I know a little more than the basics I guess lol I know how to set my gains if thats what your wondering

Electrical as of right now is just big 3 plan on adding a nice battery up front and going from there

Do you know if you can fit the box required for either of those options in the ranger? I think it is easier to go with the single ZCON if your experience is minimal. If 500 is your total budget you wont be able to afford a zcon and amp and the electrical you will likely need to back it up. The ZCON 18 is 480 plus shipping if I'm remembering correctly. I don't know if you've considered the cost of wiring and wood etc as well.

Goal-Loud daily

Budget-Cheap lol $500

Do you know if you can fit the box required for either of those options in the ranger? I think it is easier to go with the single ZCON if your experience is minimal. If 500 is your total budget you wont be able to afford a zcon and amp and the electrical you will likely need to back it up. The ZCON 18 is 480 plus shipping if I'm remembering correctly. I don't know if you've considered the cost of wiring and wood etc as well.

I wouldn't say my experience is minimal and I know where to go if I have any questions. I have $500 for just the sub. Already have an amp in the works if I can talk the guy down a little more on the price lol I have the 1/0 already and 8 gauge speaker wire. I have 8.24 cubic feet (before displacement) in my truck. I just measured today.

Two fifteens ported would get my vote over either of those choices.

Edited by ricksi30

Two fifteens ported would get my vote over either of those choices.

Wow! I forgot all about 15's lol :P What 15's would you suggest?

I like the 15's idea as well. Honestly I just don't like the idea of installing a bunch of mediocre 12's. Do they have to be infinnitys? A pair of nice 15's or a nice 18 would yield much more favorable results than a bunch of Infinnitys IMO. I don't even know the model so I could be wrong, but I just prefer to go with products I know are well made.

I'm kinda thinking 2 Sundown SA-15's now lol But they are Infinity Reference previously run by Irpirate with 16 12's in a 4th order wall

I'm gonna sleep so i'll check this in the morning before work Goodnight all

Edited by DylanH

2 15's would be my vote. But a decent 18 over the infinitys gets my vote. :sleepwerd4:

Goal-Loud daily

Budget-Cheap lol $500

Within that budget a pair of SSD's or SA-15's would work. A pair of Icon 15's would cost a little more, but would make for a very nice system IMO. They're not currently in stock though.

Sundown SA-15 $235 a piece (free shipping)

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SA%252d15.html

Audioque HDC315 Copper Coil Subwoofer $249.00 a piece

http://www.audioque.com/HDC315-Copper-Coil-Subwoofer_p_24.html

I say 1 18" would be awesome defiantly on 2000+ rms. The 2 15s are also a good option. Don't waste your time with 6 12s. :)

What would you guys suggest for SSA Subs? I don't know much about them except they are more sq based and have nice lows lol what would handle the power? For 2 15's

What would you guys suggest for SSA Subs? I don't know much about them except they are more sq based and have nice lows lol what would handle the power? For 2 15's

Don't choose a sub by its rms rating for starters. All the subs mentioned will be fine on your amplifier if you are smart about it. A single 18 is more in line with your budget. If you decided to go with a single 18 I would suggest the ZCON or BTL for what you've described. Not all SSA products are SQ based. The ZCON is geared towards SPL, but SSA will not make a product that doesn't sound good.

Don't choose a sub by its rms rating for starters. All the subs mentioned will be fine on your amplifier if you are smart about it. A single 18 is more in line with your budget. If you decided to go with a single 18 I would suggest the ZCON or BTL for what you've described. Not all SSA products are SQ based. The ZCON is geared towards SPL, but SSA will not make a product that doesn't sound good.

Well for single 18 I was thinking either a Zcon or a Sundown Z 18

2 15's I was thinking SA-15's or Icon 15's

Hmmmmmmm I'm really thinking bout it! I'll do some more research on them after work

My friend has a Sundown Z v.2 18'' in a 7ft^2 box on like 3000w in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it is just stupid loud... last time I checked you can find those fairly reasonable used.. and in an extended cab Ranger? Flex ftw!

2 15's would be my vote. But a decent 18 over the infinitys gets my vote. :sleepwerd4:

:+1: