Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

5 Channel amp

I am looking for an amp for my room, a 5.1 amp/receiver, with a sub rca out for sure. I don't need a huge amount of sq, i just require it to sound good enough for a party, i.e. doesnt clip out at medium volumes up.

I need it to get loud. My franken speakers are odd, in the sense that they take power very well, and sound much better than i think they should for $20 walmart speakers. I'd post a pic, but I don't feel like getting laughed at anymore.

I don't care about it doing rated power (ie a pyle pro can claim 2,000w, but put out 800w), i just need at least a solid 75-125w per channel, actual output.

EQ would be a cool option, not necessary.

Budget is $200.

Alternatively, A far more powerful 2.1 amp/receiver is also desirable.

The ghetto hoopty speakers i have now are getting trashed and replaced quite soon. No idea with what, but it will definitely be worthy of being in the same room as the letters "SQ"

A little over budget.. but I know personally this receiver performs well and has great sound for the money... @ $229....

STRDH520.png

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666303781

Not sure if the OP would mind, but he did specify a 5.1 channel amp

Well, to be quite honest a 7.1 system is capable of 5.1 .. just saying... and not mention most 5.1 systems are "out dated" ... Blu ray and even TV are now supporting/outputting 7.1 :peepwall:

Also, isn't 1% Distortion at 8 ohms a little much? And i ask that question honestly as I'm fairly new to all this as well.

More channels, more to love =P

That receiver looks like my dream come true. So much better than I thought i'd get for under $250.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

If you get it, let me know, I'm kind of in the same boat as you are :)

If you get it, let me know, I'm kind of in the same boat as you are :)

I'm thinking i'll buy it for my birthday, in November. But, if that is still before you pick something up, I will give as thorough a review as possibly =)

TBH ... I think that there would have to be some really really good ears to hear it... I mean I can tell the difference between most of the Sony rcvrs I've owned and my Marantz that is over 3yrs now...

Speaker Boy - Excellent :) looking forward to it.

Shogen - I'm a little confused, you CAN or CAN'T tell the difference?

lol... sorry, 1% distortion ... no, I don't think so...

My Marantz and the Sony rcvrs... YES!

I'd look into a used Pioneer Elite receiver. You can find one fore decently cheap if you look around.

I'd look into a used Pioneer Elite receiver. You can find one fore decently cheap if you look around.

Very good option.. I haven't had an Elite rcvr but I did own a "high-end" DVD player a while back.. Great quality...