cheese20323

New Sub

So imma redo my HT and i want some RE REX 8 because i can get em CHEAP so i was wondering will a sealed box with a 12" PR be better or the 8's ported or bandpass...

For the sake of keeping it cheap, I say go ported. I did a Tang Band 8", the WP-740 I think, ported, 1.5cuft with a 4" aero tuned to 28Hz. It turned out pretty bada$$. I used a 150 watt plate amp. I'm sure the REx 8 is pretty similar to the Tang Band. I'm not sure about the PR setup. The seem to drop off pretty quick below tuning, at least that's what I've seen when modeling one in WinISD. With that being said, I think it would be uber bada$$ to use this as a PR:

412KeaK5sGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My link

I don't know if it'll work worth a damn, but it would be a hoot to hear some good bass and see one of these wanging. :P

For the sake of keeping it cheap, I say go ported. I did a Tang Band 8", the WP-740 I think, ported, 1.5cuft with a 4" aero tuned to 28Hz. It turned out pretty bada$. I used a 150 watt plate amp. I'm sure the REx 8 is pretty similar to the Tang Band. I'm not sure about the PR setup. The seem to drop off pretty quick below tuning, at least that's what I've seen when modeling one in WinISD. With that being said, I think it would be uber bada$ to use this as a PR:

My link

I don't know if it'll work worth a damn, but it would be a hoot to hear some good bass and see one of these wanging. :P

PR and ported have pretty much the same roll-off, both are 4th order enclosures. PR's have a little notch in the roll-off because of the resonance of the PR, but that's generally the biggest difference given equivalent alignments.

Wouldn't recommend trying to use those Pyle's as a PR ;)

As to the original question, PR generally allows for smaller enclosure because the PR displaces a lot less volume than a port, especially in small enclosures. However they can be an added expense to the cost of the system which isn't necessary if space isn't a concern, and it saves the issue of having port noise from having insufficient port area. Other than that performance between a PR and a ported enclosure will be roughly equivalent. Other than that, without knowing your goals hard to give any further recommendations.

For the sake of keeping it cheap, I say go ported. I did a Tang Band 8", the WP-740 I think, ported, 1.5cuft with a 4" aero tuned to 28Hz. It turned out pretty bada$. I used a 150 watt plate amp. I'm sure the REx 8 is pretty similar to the Tang Band. I'm not sure about the PR setup. The seem to drop off pretty quick below tuning, at least that's what I've seen when modeling one in WinISD. With that being said, I think it would be uber bada$ to use this as a PR:

My link

PR and ported have pretty much the same roll-off, both are 4th order enclosures. PR's have a little notch in the roll-off because of the resonance of the PR, but that's generally the biggest difference given equivalent alignments.

Wouldn't recommend trying to use those Pyle's as a PR ;)

As to the original question, PR generally allows for smaller enclosure because the PR displaces a lot less volume than a port, especially in small enclosures. However they can be an added expense to the cost of the system which isn't necessary if space isn't a concern, and it saves the issue of having port noise from having insufficient port area. Other than that performance between a PR and a ported enclosure will be roughly equivalent. Other than that, without knowing your goals hard to give any further recommendations.

Well pretty much i want similar output from what i have now. I took off my RE SX 12 and wired it to my amp sounds good and only receiving like 100 rms it is ported to 38hz and 2.5 cubic ft. But with the RE REX i want like 2.0 cuft tuned to like 20hz or alittle higher because i like the awesome movie experience. I have even thought of getting 1 18 but my room is pretty small. For speakers i have 5 logitech speakers about to do them in surround system config. Im think maybe place the subs were? Under the bed or where? I want low bass but still sound clean on music. I was looking at the REX because they are cheap. I used to have the 12's of those and i think for 20 more ill get 12's but it means bigger enclosure and is sealed recommended for HT setups?

Cheese, for HT normally you'd go with a ported box. However just because you tune the box to 20 Hz doesn't mean that it will work. The enclosure must match the driver and the application. The lower you go the more air you need to move. You will also get less cabin gain than in a car. Do you have a link to the drivers t/s specs? You need to model it to find out if it will work well. Also remember

That when typing in a smart phone it is easy to send a post in mid sentence! Lol!

The all new REX series by RE Audio replaces the older RE series. RE Audio subwoofers have been the best in the industry for a while now.

The all new REX series by RE Audio replaces the older RE series. RE Audio subwoofers have been the best in the industry for a while now.

US Amps buttfucked Scott's RE Audio designs.