jFreezy

Home audio in a car?

Sup guys it's jfreezy. I was wondering if it's possible to bring your home audio into a car? I'd like to know if it is possible. I'm curious. My cousin has a home audio sub with built in amp in the box. It has the wall outlet plug. It can be a straight up sub and has terminals for speakers. Thing is like 250watts. Do you guys think it's possible to have this in a car with a dc to ac converter ? Like, top of the line dc to ac converter, one that can handle alot of wattage. If this is possible it would be pretty cool and cheap too lol. Just something my cousin and I are thinking about on this boring day.

I guess the question is would there be a power shortage or would something bad happen with the dc/ac converter?

One word: ghetto.

Wasting your time.

Wasting your time.

Lol it's not worth it right? Just something I was thinking about.. But I don't think that's gonna stop my cousin lol.

Wasting your time.

Lol it's not worth it right? Just something I was thinking about.. But I don't think that's gonna stop my cousin lol.

I don't know how it would sound in the vehicle.

Your going to be wiring it into an dc to ac converter and having to plug and unplug it when you get in the car?

Sure a dc to ac converter is cheaper then a entry level car audio driver and amp, but I don't think you guys are going to like the end result.

Keep the HT setup in the house or sell it, get an entry level amp and driver, build a box, and call it a day.

you would have to look and see how many amps/ volts the THS pulls.. then buy a converter... they get costly fast

Oh ok lol. Yeah Maybe not a good idea. But now I can show my cousin this thread so he knows I'm not bullshitinnn lol. Thanks everyone

"Hey cousin, do you smell something burning?"

"....oh fuck"

lol @this

It works i had a surround sound system in my car with 2 self powered subs...it actually sounded pretty good lol good luck

I think it's called HOME audio for a reason.

Interesting statement. I always use home audio drivers in my cars. NEVER their amplification though.

my tweeters are "home audio"

but not a HT powered sub

I guess what I should have said was don't put the 5.1 system you bought at Wal-Mart in your car. Probably not the best or coolest thing ever.

Lol its from bestbuy :P

Lol its from bestbuy :P

Regrettably that isn't an upgrade.

I was surprised to discover that Best Buy sold the Alpine 9886. With my low-level of experience, I think the 9886 is above average when it comes to single-din head units. At least above average enough to have found it in Best Buy.

Now like I said, I don't have much experience and certainly don't have much experience with ghetto-fabbing a home theater system to run in your car. Saying that, I would see no problem in using drivers from a home audio set up in your car. I would use a car audio amplifier. I most likely wouldn't use the same enclosure as well. If you rebuild the enclosure, make sure to note the design intent for the speakers and try not to venture too far off the path otherwise you risk trying to make the speakers do something they aren't designed to do and that could heavily, heavily affect the overall performance (especially sound quality) of the speakers.

For example, I have a 12" klipsch home audio subwoofer. For me, it's a nice little pre-fab unit that was effortless to install. If it's in a 3.5 cubic foot ported enclosure tuned to 25 hz (just an example, no idea of real specifications), I personally would think twice of making a box for it tuned to 45hz. Does that mean it won't work? No. Does that mean it won't sound awesome? No. It means that I simply don't know enough to comfortably do that and assume it will yield a positive response. However, i think your cousin simply intends to stick the whole system in his car without changing anything about it.

Something to consider, home theater systems are made for an entirely different environment. It my sound amazing in your room, but that certainly doesn't mean it will sound amazing in your car with no changes. Could it? Sure! I'm willing to bet that it won't.

I'm sure someone can help you out more, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

My general consensus? If someone has to ask this question, it's probably not a good idea for them to do it.