Sign in to follow this  
Amish Marauder

Building my first box and have a ? about cu. ft.

Hey guys. Just saw this forum. I'm buying a 15" SI MAG D2 in a month or so. I want to design a box asap so that I can drop the sub right in as soon as I buy it.

I'm going SQ over all but I want it loud too. Just not at the expense of SQ. I have my box designed pretty much. I was going to go 3 cu ft. And here is my question: for a sealed enclosure with a min of 1000wrms and maybe up to 1200wrms in a TRUNK of a large car (mercury grand marquis) what would be the best size box in your opinion? 2.6 cu. ft? 2.8 cu. ft? LESS, or more? Or am I on the right track with a 3 cu ft enclosure?

I listen to rock mostly but rap as well. a lot of classic rock all the way up to death metal. rap core too...

Any input would be awesome guys.

I was planning on a 18x17x17 box (19-1/2 x 18-1/2 x18-1/2)

3/4" MDF

Edited by Amish Marauder

You won't be able to tell the difference between 2.6 and 2.8 cubes audibly, so the choice is up to you. Go 2.6 if you stuff it with polyfill and line the walls with fiberglass

You won't be able to tell the difference between 2.6 and 2.8 cubes audibly, so the choice is up to you.  Go 2.6 if you stuff it with polyfill and line the walls with fiberglass

Hmmm I didn't think to put stuffing in the box.

my box is 2.7 cubes with 1200 watts on a new mag 2, but i cant give you a review cause i dont have it installed yet. mine is going into a mid sized car (01 mazda 626)

In terms of what you have listed, it will probably be inaudible.

Using what Nick recommends will be best. Nobody knows the drivers better than their designer. :fing34:

Going from 2.2 cubes to 2.5 cubes will be audible but not 2.6 to 2.8 cubes...especially if you stuff the smaller enclosure. Just aim for 2.5 cubes sealed after driver displacement and stuff the enclosure with about two pounds of polyfil.

I don't understand. why do I need to put polyfill in the box? what will that do for the enclosure? How does it help? and is it needed if the box is bigger or only if the box is smaller?

also, where can you buy this stuff? can any insulation be used? also should I place accoustic panels on the inner walls of the box as well? like Dybamat or something?

Edited by Amish Marauder

It helps out the low end.

Fools the subwoofer into thinking its in a larger enclosure than it actually is. Usually used if the enclosure is smaller than reccomended.

You can buy it at walmart or a fabric store. Usually comes in a 2lb bag.

Putting sound deadner inside probably wont make any difference.

Edited by Eldorado