Sign in to follow this  
johnyb

Need cabinet size help for dual RL-p15's, sealed

Ok, After doing a few more hours of research tonight, I learned a few things: Couches can act like bass traps & its ok to fire the driver up. In light of the furniture issue, I do like the two front firing drivers with the one being higher than my couch.

I like the idea of having a driver that is unobstructed from my listening position.

What do you think of going for the same dimensions as the thiel ss4?

19"W x 28"D x 51" H

With 2 RL-p15's, and the Adire 1200@4ohm with LT plate amp?

http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/ADASubAmps.htm

I am willing to adjust the cabinet size to match the drivers, but this is where I am stuck. The soundsplinter site says "2.5 cu ft, with the general consensus being that 2.1 cu ft net volume is ideal for a flat frequency response with good low-end extension and output." So for two drivers would I double the cabinet size to 4.1-5?

That does seem a little small to me. If I am doing the math right the thiel cabinet is about 15.7cf

http://thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/Pages/m...ubs/subwo1.html

Edited by johnyb

> So for two drivers would I double the cabinet size to 4.1-5?

> That does seem a little small to me.

Indeed, the RL-p's are optimized for relatively small boxes. You can go bigger by all means, which can aid in your low-frequency output considerably.. however, you also run the risk of experiencing boomy or muddy sound which is characteristic of an underdamped enclosure. If you do decide to go so large, I would recommend setting your low pass crossover lower than you normally would.

But honestly, if you really want massive output on the low-end, the RL-p's are a natural for a low-tuned vented enclosure.. which, considering the amount of space you're considering using sealed, would be more practical overall! My suggestion would be up to 4.5 cu ft net volume per driver tuned between 18 - 22 Hz. I myself use my RL-p15 in a 3.5 cu ft @ 25 Hz but am likely going to swap out for a change soon just for the hell of it.

That and I'd be careful with that Thiel box, it looks like it is a bandpass from the pictures (I didn't really read to indepth) and optimized for completely different drivers.

My recommendation would be to listen to Mike and port those puppies!

That and I'd be careful with that Thiel box, it looks like it is a bandpass from the pictures (I didn't really read to indepth) and optimized for completely different drivers.

My recommendation would be to listen to Mike and port those puppies!

Thanks, My brother is doing this with me and we are kind of sold on a closed cabinet design. We will drop the size of the cabinet down to match the drivers.

We would like to stack the driver

Edited by johnyb