Wackzirth88

Kicking around ideas.

Hello all,

I'm extremely bored and have been thinking about updating my system so i decided to make my first post in quite awhile. Currently I have 1 12" Fi SSD wired to 2 ohms, running off a Sundown SAE 1200 v2, in a 2 cu ft enclosure tuned to 32 hz. Electrical wise, I replaced my stock battery with a group 78 AGM from O'reilly's (supposedly made by deka) and I replaced the factory ground with 0 gauge. My stock alt is 130 amp and at idle when hot my voltage stays at 14.6 and up, even at max volume with the air off it may drop to 14.4 on songs with a consisent beat (only seen 13 volts maybe a handful of times with the air on and at idle in drive). Now that it's starting to cool of my voltage is much higher, i'm talking 14.9-15.0 volts at start-up and 14.8 when hot, at high volumes maybe ill see 14.5 but it's been pretty steady. I'm happy with this system for now but I'd like louder. Here's what I've been thinking about doing (2 options):

1. I have a second SSD that I bought because the seller wouldn't separate but he did give me a BA deal for taking both. Of course, I'd be wiring them to 1 ohm, essentially doubling my power and cone area, correct? I don't want a huge port box, I like the space I have running this single sub setup. But if i go sealed, the box wouldn't be much bigger than what I have. Another dilemma with this idea, I love my box. I put alot of time into building it: it's birch plywood, double baffle and flush mount, rounded off all edges, 45s in all corners, and put a good 10 coats of poly urethene on it.

2. Sell both these SSDs and get a beefier 12(waiting for the icon to be re-released) maybe a bl or deathrow and run it at one ohm in the box i have now.

I listen to mostly rap and some rock, and I love the low lows. I understand it's all install dependent but how does a single 12 ported compare to 2 12s sealed on the same power? Like i said, i'm just kicking around ideas and looking for some opinions from those more experienced than myself which isn't much but hey. Sorry for the lack of organization in my post, I believe its still understandable, but if it's not ill gladly try to elaborate.

A single 12" in a ported enclosure will have similar output to two 12" same drivers in a sealed enclosure. There are exceptions, such enclosure volumes and tuning, but for the most part it holds true.

You may experience a small gain in output. It should hit a much wider range of frequencies with plenty of authority though.

Sealed can get very loud :) lots of cone area will he;p too.

I've never gone from 1 whatever sub in a healthy ported box to 2 whatever subs in a sealed box. So my experience there is non-existent.

I did go from a slightly over sized sealed enclosure to a 33hz tuned ported enclosure on my 2 SA15's and it was a world of a difference in terms of output. I know the drivers and situation is different and may not offer much help, but it's the only experience I have to share.

The easiest way to get louder is by increasing cone area. If i were you, I'd check the classifieds section and see what people are getting for used 12" SSD's (maybe you already know) and then see what i could get with that money. That way you have an even playing field and understand all your options.

In terms of your last question, i think Ohjay answered it best:

You may experience a small gain in output. It should hit a much wider range of frequencies with plenty of authority though.

p.s. are there pics of your box anywhere? :)

Thanks for the input guys . I still dont know what i wanna do lol. All the pictures of my box are on my old phones sd card which i dont have with me. I do have a video tho.

the voltage in the video differs from what I described because it was before i swapped my battery, replaced stock grounds, and it was right around 100 degrees out that day. I know the video isnt as good as pictures from the building process but it's all i have to show for now (i can take some pics but its raining atm) Also, I know i have a huge ass trunk but i need the extra space for a baby stroller and what not Edited by zack w

Link worked fine for me. I would drop 'em both in a large sealed box wired down to 1 ohm but that's just me.