Sign in to follow this  
CT_SRT

Help a NOOB pick some Subs.....

Hey whats up everyone im new to the forums and just wanted to say whats up, and help me with my decision please.. For the last little while ive been deciding on a system and just recently someone recommended ss subs....Ive been doing nonstop research on these subs, to find out whats the deal, and they are obviously no joke....Either way ill get down to it, heres what else i will be running not includding sub(s) and amp

Pioneer preimere deh-P670MP edit now: Pioneer DEH-P80MP

Pheonix Gold Ti5Comp Elites

Orion 8002(refurbished)

or Orion 8004(new) Opinions on these are welcome.

KnuKonceptz wiring

Now the part I want all the oppinions on..(If it helps i listen to mainly rap, and hip-hop but dont want it to sound bad with techno)

Amp choices:Orion 2500D refurbished or Orion 1200D new...

Sub choices(i dont car if i take up most of the trunk, just dont know how much trunk space i have..(dodge neon srt-4)

2 12"RL-P's

or

2 15" RL-P's

or

1 15" RL-S

let me know what u think will get the loudest and sound the best while doin it(worried about the 15's keeping up with faster stuff)

In the past ive had a JBL 1200.1 power all these setups. 1 12w7 wasnt enough, 1 12 IDmax wasnt enough, 1 18" Beyond Audio Inhuman was enough just too sloppy, and 1 12" brahma wasnt enough.. The w7 and the idmax were sealed, the 18" was in a giganto box with massive port area, and the brahma i dont remember how big the box but set up to there specs.........So let me know what you all think, sorry for the long post just wanted to make sure i didnt leave anything out because i need to figure out a system that works the first time instead of going through all the afformentioned setups in a little under a year and a half like i did be4..THanks again

John W

Edited by CT_SRT

what it looks like to me is that you are becoming progressivly more deaf as you go through some great subs. Personally any of those subs you had should have been really loud and sounded great. do you still have any of them? if so you might just pick up another IDmax and run a ported box in the low 30's.

If you don't currently have any subs I would go with a pair of IDmax's because they are louder than the rlp's and they still sound really good (keep in mind I've owned both drivers for over a year). The max's are a bit more abuse friendly than the rlp's too.

JL's just aren't nearly as good as most people think, and they're not worth the money.

Put the Max's in 2.3 cubes each tuned to the low 30's with a ton of bracing and get ready for dampning your trunk. Try to make the port at least 20 sq inches for each sub.

How are your box building skills.

2 RL-p 15's should suit your needs just fine.

wll thanks so far guys i need all the input i can handle...Im suprised u reccomended the Idmax's i was not impressed with the output(probably setup) the SQ was amazing, just didnt get all that loud IMO but i am crazy and a like my chit super loud...IM suprised no one has said the RL-s i thought it was supposed to be a super beast among subs...Also what about

2 15" pheonix Gold TId's--someone told me thses would keep up with the RL-p's, that kinda shocked me..Anyway thanks again, and keep it rolling...

Edited by CT_SRT

I heard dennisp's IDMAX, i wasnt impressed with its output.

The RL-S just needs gobs of power and a pretty large enclosure.

I dont think your car's a;t will like that very much, unless its upgraded.

One nice thing about the RL-p's is the price.

Can you even buy the TId anymore ?

It looked like some overbuilt spaceship sub when i saw one.

Edited by Eldorado

LOL..yeah i had no idea u could buy them, but i found them...Prob not a great idea to buy discontinued products new anyway, and they do look kinda funny, lol but i hear they get loud. :D ...who knows...lol

the IDMAX is a great sub, but I would never call them abuse friendly, I have seen or read about too many having motor issues,

don't get me wrong I was dead set on an IDMAX for a while, even thought about waiting until v3's but still I prefer my RL-p

if you're wanting something that really gets loud, you need to port.

Since you're going to be running the subs in your SRT i'd go with 12s regardless of what sub you choose. 12s will be an easier fit all around and because of space requirements they'll probably be just as loud as 15s in your application.

#1 thing is if you don't like your sub, change your box before you change subs. So many factors affect how your sub will sound, net volume, port area, tuning frequency, shape of box, how the woofer is pointing, etc etc etc.

thanks guys, after talking to mike, he too agrees that the 12's will prob be best for my applications, and they will be ported so hopefully i will be happy, Now guys go to the amp section if you can and tell me your oppinions on the different amps i could possible be using..Thanks all, nice to be in a forum thats not filled with dumbass kids who think they can play god behind there computer screens....I like this place :bigok:

the 12's should be fine, they are very capable

the 12's should be fine, they are very capable

Kool i think ive made up my mind, but hey keep the oppinions rolling in if u got em.....I think they will be perfect for my setup though...

Oh yeah to answer a preevious post i have none of those subs, all sold very quickly after using them, and I have absolutely no box building skills...lol

Ok ill be adding maybe 100-150 pound of weight which eqauls about .1-.15 in the quarter if i even cared... If i wanted it to be that much faster id be spending my money of a 50 trim turbo kit, and not my system :bigok: But it is winter time and i have other priorities. :domoslay: .. SO now its a 13.8 quarter mile, which i can definately live with, and its quite fast already.....but it will be a slower...but ittl get crzy loud :lol:

Edited by CT_SRT

Ok ill be adding maybe 100-150 pound of weight which eqauls about .1-.15 in the quarter if i even cared... If i wanted it to be that much faster id be spending my money of a 50 trim turbo kit, and not my system :bigok: But it is winter time and i have other priorities. :domoslay: .. SO now its a 13.8 quarter mile, which i can definately live with, and its quite fast already.....but  it will be a slower...but ittl get crzy loud :lol:

If you can't build boxes you should find someone to help you, if you are anywhere near Spokane, WA then I'll build you a box and charge a minimal amount.

Oh, your post reminds me, i just heard a pair of RE SE's off of 200 watts and it was far louder and cleaner than I expected, and during the group buy you could get em for like 70bones each.

But if you can afford a pair of RLP's then you will be really happy and your car will get loud at really low frequencies, (its easy to get loud at 45hz) but when your car is loud at 25 then you really have something. try tuning to the low 30's or upper 20s and you'll get loud.

later,

b

Yeah a while back when i bought my brahma i was looking into alot of RE products, even a multiple se setup, but i have decided on the RL-P's after atfter staying up till the wee hours of the morning finding out as much as i can about this sub the last like week and a half or so....I was so happy someone reccomended me too SS, i usually dont like the "brand name" subs theyere usually to quiet and too pricey for my taste and they only one i have owned was a w7 :greddy2: ....ANd i like supporting the real companys out there, the NO. BS i dont need some stupid lights on my woofer to make u buy it type chit..lol...Thanks for the suggest though 70 is a deal on those, and im still trying to figure out whats goin on with the box,(i live in CT but thanks for the offer) im even contemplating building one myself, but am very worried about that...

Yeah a while back when i bought my brahma i was looking into alot of RE products, even a multiple  se setup, but i have decided on the RL-P's after atfter staying up till the wee hours of the morning finding out as much as i can about this sub the last like week and a half or so....I was so happy someone reccomended me too SS, i usually dont like the "brand name" subs theyere usually to quiet and too pricey for my taste and they only one i have owned was a w7 :greddy2: ....ANd i like supporting the real companys out there, the NO. BS i dont need some stupid lights on my woofer to make u buy it type chit..lol...Thanks for the suggest though 70 is a deal on those, and im still trying to figure out whats goin on with the box,(i live in CT but thanks for the offer) im even contemplating building one myself, but am very worried about that...

Are you worried about the building or the design? There are a multitude of people on this board that could sell you the design, the building you could then either farm out to someone or do it yourself.

Oh, and I 2nd what Eldorado said but would add that the owner and support of SS is above and beyond all others as well. Enjoy the SS's!