Sign in to follow this  
haydenlake

As You Wish PICS Towers

So I couldn't bear the way my system sounded with $40 pawnshop speakers from a decade ago. So I decided on a two way setup. HiVi M8A 8" mid, alum/magnesium cone, and a Vifa X25 (or 35) tweet I don't remember. Under 200 for all of em.

2cuft each tuned to 26hz

Baffle step defraction design (the tweet moves that way it can be the same distance from the listening position as the center of the mid driver. At first I thought this idea was just hifi bullchit but if you close your eyes while listening and someone else moves the tweets around you can really hear it. the best distance I've found is about 4" back from the front baffle.

The tweeter mounts are not finished, I'm trying to get a marble guy to make me a pair he owes me a favor.

The Xover isn't that big, that's just for modeling,

Boxes are still up for ideas if you guys have any. I was either going to do

1. Line X

2. Veneer

3. Trim ring out of Faux lizard or ostrich skin and wrap the rest in suede.

#3 is the most expensive but I don't even thing Jay Z has suede speakers! Any thoughts on color.

Sorry the pics are chit some are off of my cell phone.

If these turn out well can I get bumped up from newbie status?

Oh, by the way, these sound amazing (or did) on my friends system with a killer front end (like some $4-5k amp) but on my 11year old kenwood they just don't come to life and they actually sound bad. hmm

Gotta go sell a few more houses then I can buy whatever amp I want!

nice job

Sweet, want a pair of those 8's to dink with myself. Your crossover connections crack me up, soldering isn't that hard--now don't ask to see my soldering joints as, well, oh, ya, they ain't much better than using quick connects.

Sweet, want a pair of those 8's to dink with myself.  Your crossover connections crack me up, soldering isn't that hard--now don't ask to see my soldering joints as, well, oh, ya, they ain't much better than using quick connects.

don't make fun, that xover board has been used for tons of projects my real xover is 6x6" on mdf

oh, if you do use these I can give you the schematic

use a zobel filter to cure impedence and inductance problems (I really dont know much about it my buddy designed em). I guess what it does is is make the inductance the same across all the frequency range. When we added the zobel it sounded like the instruments being played were more defined.

later,

b

Sweet, want a pair of those 8's to dink with myself.  Your crossover connections crack me up, soldering isn't that hard--now don't ask to see my soldering joints as, well, oh, ya, they ain't much better than using quick connects.

don't make fun, that xover board has been used for tons of projects my real xover is 6x6" on mdf

oh, if you do use these I can give you the schematic

use a zobel filter to cure impedence and inductance problems (I really dont know much about it my buddy designed em). I guess what it does is is make the inductance the same across all the frequency range. When we added the zobel it sounded like the instruments being played were more defined.

later,

b

Wasn't making fun, just pointing out that the whole idea amused me. Indeed you are correct on the Zobel, it should neutralize uneven response of the impedance curve of the speaker to maintain a linear load accross all frequencies and should greatly improve your clarity! Looks nice, finish them up and post some more pics. I'd be interested in seeing your Zobel. Now if I could just get a woman to ask me that....

is that an XXX for your sub? why?

Edited by azbass

is that an XXX for your sub? why?

I wish that was my system, that's actually my friends house. Yep he's got a pair of modded XXX 18"s off of something like 5kw+

As to why XXX, why not? cross em over at 40hz and they're tuned to 16hz anyway.

His old system with a pair of 15" tumults did 125db at 20hz. Now its louder but I don't know how much but his house is definalty "car loud"

Here are a few more pics of what I've got going, I'm going to try to lay the suede tonight.

later,

b

PS sorry about the gross ear picture but I thought that you guys could appreicate that and be happy it wasn't you. Its not my ear but another friend of mine, it was my fault though, I threw him off of water innertube at 45mph. but hey he was trying to throw me off too.

just wondering

would be sweet have a dual 18 set up.

gah 2 tumults in 18inch would be wonderfull..