stovebolt6

anyone with DD audio experience

about a yr ago I bought a couple of used 9500's with the full composite cone.

I finally have gotten around too testing one, and I am impressed with the amount of effeiciency, considering how much power one is known to handle.

what I am wondering is, if I were to recone them with DD pulp cones would that help warm up the tone a bit?

when listening too rap or anything with mostly sinewaves they sound fine.

when listening too metal, rock, or classical they sound almost lifeless.

so if anyone has had a chance to test them with both cone materials please chime in

A pulp cone will be slightly heavier, increasing moving mass, it should sound "warmer"

Then you are correct in your assumptions :)

Any sound you were missing or not liking was just in the enclosure not be 100% right for the woofer.

I've got a pair of 9515 with the pulp cones and carbon dust caps. They sound fine with all music. I do find myself tinkering with the bass knob when going from rap to rock and vice versa. Pretty much turning the bass down to match the mids and highs. If the mids and highs are lacking then no about of adjusting on the subs is going to fix that. Well, scratch that, you can cross the subs higher to an extent, but the sound is going to be a bit different.

don't get me gents, you have too understand I am comparing them too my lms ultra, re xxx, older q, and a few xbl^2 subs.

it is not of freq. response that bothers me, I'm tuned at 30hz and it has a very smooth roll off. it is the tonal quality I don't like when turned at normal levels 110 to 130 db

when turned up louder you really can't tell

transits are great over hang is not present

it just sounds a bit dull are hollow sounding

I just wondering what could be done outside of eq