RLJ676

Small SSD 10 Box

Alright, I have a MTX Thunder 2150 and MTX 7000 12 in sealed pre-fab as a temporary setup in my 08 extended cab Sierra. Signal is off stock Bose HU rear driver speaker on a LOC. Needless to say I want a bit more oomph along w/ a my passenger seat back. Also, I believe I'm getting a full signal there but if someone knows otherwise please let me know.

So I am willing to give up my rear center seat space, and am looking to do a small box behind the center console rather than downfiring under a seat.

I am thinking a FI SSD 10 combined w/ a used MMATS, or possibly a new American Bass amp around 1000 to 1250 rms (and yes, I'll consider a used Sundown). Want to keep it US made but that is a bitch on the amp.

Using the Torres calc I have come up w/ a box that should yield .96 cubes after displacements, tuned to 33.5. This is a 14.5 wide, by 9.5 deep by 19 high box, with the top widened out by .75 on each side to fit a 10 firing up. It has an 3 in aero port 15.5 in long, w/ 10.5 external. This will come out the back of the box and fire back towards under the seat.

Now my concern is the 3 in aero port not being enough area, as it comes to 7.36 per foot which is a bit low. However, I mostly listen to rock on the radio at moderate volume, and just want the ability to get nuts when I wanna show up a friends system or surprise someone. So will it be ok?

Alright, I have a MTX Thunder 2150 and MTX 7000 12 in sealed pre-fab as a temporary setup in my 08 extended cab Sierra. Signal is off stock Bose HU rear driver speaker on a LOC. Needless to say I want a bit more oomph along w/ a my passenger seat back. Also, I believe I'm getting a full signal there but if someone knows otherwise please let me know.

So I am willing to give up my rear center seat space, and am looking to do a small box behind the center console rather than downfiring under a seat.

I am thinking a FI SSD 10 combined w/ a used MMATS, or possibly a new American Bass amp around 1000 to 1250 rms (and yes, I'll consider a used Sundown). Want to keep it US made but that is a bitch on the amp.

Using the Torres calc I have come up w/ a box that should yield .96 cubes after displacements, tuned to 33.5. This is a 14.5 wide, by 9.5 deep by 19 high box, with the top widened out by .75 on each side to fit a 10 firing up. It has an 3 in aero port 15.5 in long, w/ 10.5 external. This will come out the back of the box and fire back towards under the seat.

Now my concern is the 3 in aero port not being enough area, as it comes to 7.36 per foot which is a bit low. However, I mostly listen to rock on the radio at moderate volume, and just want the ability to get nuts when I wanna show up a friends system or surprise someone. So will it be ok?

Hi I'm assuming that this is the Rick that I have been speaking with via email. As I said to do a box in that space with the proper amount of port area will be difficult. A 3 inch port will not work well at all.

Hi I'm assuming that this is the Rick that I have been speaking with via email. As I said to do a box in that space with the proper amount of port area will be difficult. A 3 inch port will not work well at all.

Yep, that's me haha. It won't be easy no, but it's possible......might just have to do a stupid long 4 in aero. I assume that'd be enough area? Would need a 29 in all external 4 in which would end up at 32.8 hz and .98 after displacements (I will gain about .05 by expanding out the top to fit the 10). The port could come out about 10 in and then 90 degree for 19. What do you think?

If you have any other ideas let me know of course.

I would Put the enclosure under the seat. It will sound much better with something to load off of. Plus you keep your seat.

One 3 inch port is not enough. I would use double that amount.

A four would be better for sure. Maybe external under your seat? If you can snap a few pics and email them to me I can see what other options we might have.

Thanks, Rick

A four would be better for sure. Maybe external under your seat? If you can snap a few pics and email them to me I can see what other options we might have.

Thanks, Rick

That's what I was describing ;)

I can get some pics in the light tomorrow. As i described above is actually pretty straight forward, just a lot of external port.

I would Put the enclosure under the seat. It will sound much better with something to load off of. Plus you keep your seat.

Under the seats in these EC's is pretty crappy, the floor ramps up in several spots quite a bit and there doesn't seem to be much space. Most it seems anyone can get out of one is .6 or so before displacement, and w/ shallow depth.

Plus, why buy a cool sub to hide under a seat haha.

Under the seats in these EC's is pretty crappy, the floor ramps up in several spots quite a bit and there doesn't seem to be much space. Most it seems anyone can get out of one is .6 or so before displacement, and w/ shallow depth.

Might be able to get something under there, I'll take a look at the pics and see what looks best.

If I had a cool sub I'd install it where it would perform the best. But what do I know, I'm just a noob.

If I had a cool sub I'd install it where it would perform the best. But what do I know, I'm just a noob.

Agreed.

So in .6 cubes and not the depth to mount it?

I was kidding about not putting it under there to look at it, but thanks.

Might be able to get something under there, I'll take a look at the pics and see what looks best.

Here's some pics for now, mine won't be much better as my camera is terrible. http://trucks.about.com/od/2007chevysilverado/ig/2007-Chevy-Silverado-Photos/Two-Views-Silverado-Rear-Seats.htm

The space under the seat is about 5 in high at front, back to 3 high 10 in deep or so. The floor also raises an inch under the seat, so on the box it's open between 1 and 6 in high.

Here's some pics for now, mine won't be much better as my camera is terrible. http://trucks.about.com/od/2007chevysilverado/ig/2007-Chevy-Silverado-Photos/Two-Views-Silverado-Rear-Seats.htm

The space under the seat is about 5 in high at front, back to 3 high 10 in deep or so. The floor also raises an inch under the seat, so on the box it's open between 1 and 6 in high.

Well I just went ahead and built the box as I'm impatient like that (so Rick I haven't seen anything from you so you obviously don't need to check the pic I sent), ended up at .94 after displacement of a BL (biggest case, and where I'm leaning now) and I grabbed some 4 in thinwall pvc, fits just under the seat and running external w/ a 90 degree bend I have room to tune as low as 30. I'll just flare the ends myself on a bowling ball. Now I just need to figure out how to clean the edges and wrap it really well.

My only concern is that the 90 is a sharp turn on the inside corner, so it isn't "perfect" but it should work.

Pics of the rough box. Still have to cut holes, paint/flare the port and carpet.

RoughBox1.jpg

RoughBox3.jpg

RoughBox2.jpg

RoughBox4.jpg

Pics of the rough box. Still have to cut holes, paint/flare the port and carpet.

Hey RLJ676, any update on your set-up? I would like to know how things turned out... Thanks.