Sign in to follow this  
EF MAX

D2, wiring options.

Hi there.

Just joined you all the way from a rather cold England.

My name is Erskine and I have a very strong working interest in Bass Box Designs, anyway I have just been given two nice new Magnum D2's which I shall be putting into one of my tried and tested Three Chamber Internally Ported Reflex Boxes.

As the D2's are two ohm per coil, have previous owners got a preference for the wiring options. Both coils in series or parallel and then both speakers in either series or parallel.

I will be using a Genesis Monobloc rated at 1650wrms [1200wrms with my current electrical set-up] into one ohm and I am more of an SQ guy rather than out and out SPL.

Just interested to hear other people's opinions.

This is just a friendly hello, if it is allowed then here is a LINK to my current project.

good ?, I put in a similar question myself. My amp puts out somewhere around 1100w @ 1ohm and was wondering how to wire up 2-12's. Only way I can see to wire is to 2 or .5 ohm, but was wondering what the actual ohm reading would be on that .5 wiring when using a ohm tester? Hopefully one of the guys at si reply.

I have just been given two nice new Magnum D2's which I shall be putting into one of my tried and tested Three Chamber Internally Ported Reflex Boxes.

Wow, that would be nice. Was this a present? :o

wow, I just checked out your page. That is a nice set-up. I bet it will sound great. You must be putting alot of money into that system, not sure what everything goes for over there, but Looks good. The amps sound like they would be nice to. Good job. and good luck.

Beautiful setup you've got going on there! Man, those Etons look pretty beefy; how do they sound? I think you're pretty much on point, however, I think 3 sub-bass drivers would be a little overkill compared to the rest of your setup and the small interior of you car. But Boom away!! :D

From time to time, various people/companies give me things to try out. In the UK I have a good reputation as a bass box designer so people get me to design things for them and this helps them to sell their products.

The speakers that I am currently using were a pressie from Eminence UK about 8 or more years ago.

The D2's are likewise, I have gone back to a 2 sub set-up but trust me, I miss my 18" speaker; sadly it just will not fit in.

My amp will take 0.5 ohm as I have used it at that for a while but man it gets hot. I figured that 2 ohms would probably workout better.

Sound wise the current set-up is about to hit the UK IASCA rounds for 2004, should be interesting to see how well it does against the UK competition.

Maybe you should ask Nick to hook you up with his badass component system?

Not the ones displayed on the Si website, but the upcoming ones.

Quite beefy things. I'd ask him for pics and info if I were you.

Oh. I'm from Norway, and am the only one here that I know of that has a Magnum D2 :wub:

Whats that for being unique :D:slayer:

A little anecdote:

A RF bumper with two ported RFD-2212 running off a amp feeding each sub 400W took a look in my trunk one day and said "What kind of chit have you got there? Looks good, but..."

I gently placed him in my drivers seat and played some Limp Bizkit and Korn. Then some Eric clapton and Yello.

He came out, totally bewildered claming he didn't know that the bassline in "Take a look around" wasnt a looong resonating boohoom, but individual plucks on the bassguitar until now. :P

And what was up with the kidneyshattering from a single 12" in a closed 1" box?

He then sat down in his own car and looked quite dissappointed when listening to what his loud but muddy RF's did.

He's ordering two 12" XXX from a newly approved dealer in Norway now, didn't take the chance to order a D2 as I did.

His loss...

Edited by Jalla

hah that's good. I love hearing stories about people with mainstream stuff then hearing some of these "internet" brands. good stuff.

And what was up with the kidneyshattering from a single 12" in a closed 1" box?

What does this mean? A sealed 1" box?

I believe he means 1 cube.

ahhh, that would make more sense.

Anyone ever heard a regular cab truck with two 12" d2's in a sealed box?

How did they sound? What kind of power and what size box?

Yep. 1 cube + some I think actually...

Trying to denote in other than the metric system may pose problems when you're not used to it ;)

EF MAX: Feel free to write up on reactions you come across using the mags.

Yep. 1 cube + some I think actually...

Trying to denote in other than the metric system may pose problems when you're not used to it ;)

EF MAX: Feel free to write up on reactions you come across using the mags.

I am getting excited actually. After a while, you get used to the same old, same old. Don't get me wrong, my current speakers and box are really good but compared to stuff that has been made in the last 8 years, well things have got better.

This will be the first time I have a box that I didn't build myself, but the guy who is building it is the guy that I recommend to everyone else, so it was time that we teamed up.

Although I have done the design, he is far better in the woodwork department than myself.

I think that he is going to go a bit OTT and make it look seriously flash, windows, mirrors lights etc; me I just want it to sound as good as, hopefully better than my current box. To be honest I couldn't ask for more than I currently have.

The current box set-up is so efficient that I often have the run the amp at 50% gain, and the Bass Eq at less than 50% and the head-unit at minus 6.

I will be happy to give my verdict once it is all run in.

These speakers are going to add some extra weight to my already rear end heavy car. The current set-up has added about 110Kg [220lbs] to the light weight of just 1150kgs of this car.

Edited by EF MAX

Damn the D2's are special. Whoever gave you those to try out is sure generous, right? ;)

hmm....could this be a clue??