Sign in to follow this  
metallica

Jeep Patriot, SPL!

I just got a new car! 2010 Jeep Patriot.

Dimensions in the back without touching the back seats are about 38wx22dx22h, in inches.

I currently have a Soundstream DTR 2200.1, stock battery/alt under the hood (115 amp alt) and a second yellow top battery. I'm looking to upgrade the alternator early next year, but have to keep it stock for now.

I'm looking for SPL, daily driver, so SPL on music pretty much (dubstep, some rap). Given the gear I have currently, and the dimensions in the rear, what would be an optimal setup?

I'm leaning toward x2 SA-15's as 6cuft@34hz should be doable with those dimensions. Only other thing I could think of would be a single higher powered 18. (DC lvl 5, BTL, ect) that likes around 6cuft net.

I just need the enclosure, sub, and need to know a good tuning/port area/net volume for this setup as I will be building the box myself. Also, the enclosure will be extremely close to the rear door, so the subs/ports will both have to fire up toward the roof. (less rattle?)

Ideas please? :)

Edited by metallica

Subs up, port back.

Go with as much cone area as possible with adequate enclosed volume for ported.

With 6cubes net 2 15" sundown SAs sounds like a good plan.

Just my opinion. :)

Since your listening to music with lots of low frequency bass, id tune around 30hz.

You can download winisd and model an enclosure with a specific driver, and see how tuning changes things.

Subs up, port back.

That's my plan, unless someone persuades me otherwise!

With the port firing back, I'm worried about rattle. The door isn't very solid, and I don't plan on dampening it will early next year along with the new alt. How much of a difference do you think up vs back would make?

And any ideas on tuning? From what I've read 34 seems good. They will be seeing near x2 the power, give or take because of stock electrical. But from what I've read with 6 cuft net, they should be able to hold their own.

Edited by metallica

Subs up, port back.

With the port firing back, I'm worried about rattle. The door isn't very solid, and I don't plan on dampening it will early next year along with the new alt. How much of a difference do you think up vs back would make?

And any ideas on tuning? From what I've read 34 seems good. They will be seeing near x2 the power, give or take because of stock electrical. But from what I've read with 6 cuft net, they should be able to hold their own.

Only way to know is by testing.

As to how much power they can take, Ive never used the drivers, nor do I want to suggest what they are / arent capable of.

You can always adjust the gain accordingly.

Subs up, port back.

Only way to know is by testing.

As to how much power they can take, Ive never used the drivers, nor do I want to suggest what they are / arent capable of.

You can always adjust the gain accordingly.

I think I'll stick with ports firing up and maybe try a new box design with higher powered subs once I get the alt and the car dampened.

Don't really know what your budget is, are leaning toward, but if I had a jeep I would do 2 18's, BTL's, DC Neo's , SMD's, something along that line with around 8k watts. You will be very happy nice SPL scores and still getting very loud daily.

Don't really know what your budget is, are leaning toward, but if I had a jeep I would do 2 18's, BTL's, DC Neo's , SMD's, something along that line with around 8k watts. You will be very happy nice SPL scores and still getting very loud daily.

I plan on going bigger in the future. The jeep is actually pretty small .. not car trunk small, but not SUV big either. Unless I take down the seats, I wont be able to get more than 6 cuft I don't think. I need to figure out how high I can make the box. The depth and width are for sure, but the i may be able to get a little more height out of the enclosure.

Late january I plan on figuring out who can make a custom 250+ amp alternator for this car, dampening the back end of the car, and finding a second DTR 2200 (they discontinued them ..) ect.

2 18"s would be a stretch, I own a 2008 Jeep Patriot and I've mocked up an enclosure for 2 15"s... Sub's up port back... I wouldn't be too worried about the rear tailgate, but you will need to put something between the license plate and the tailgate (i've always just cut a piece of dynamat or second skin and stuck it to the back of the plate, but there are only 2 screw holes if I remember correctly so getting that back plate to not vibrate is going to be a pain.)

If I were doing it in my patriot i'd probably go with either 2 12" subs or 2 15" subs.... I would love to do icons on a 3500d (sundown saz3500d) but I think i am going to go a different route instead of beating up another car (especially one I'm still paying on).

2 18"s would be a stretch, I own a 2008 Jeep Patriot and I've mocked up an enclosure for 2 15"s... Sub's up port back... I wouldn't be too worried about the rear tailgate, but you will need to put something between the license plate and the tailgate (i've always just cut a piece of dynamat or second skin and stuck it to the back of the plate, but there are only 2 screw holes if I remember correctly so getting that back plate to not vibrate is going to be a pain.)

If I were doing it in my patriot i'd probably go with either 2 12" subs or 2 15" subs.... I would love to do icons on a 3500d (sundown saz3500d) but I think i am going to go a different route instead of beating up another car (especially one I'm still paying on).

I think I'll be content with 2 15's. What where the specs of the enclosure if you don't mind me asking? When i start the build I'm sure I'll need some tips aha.

Spec's will be dependent on the sub woofers you choose to use.

My dimensions wouldn't do you any good b/c I was getting rid of the spare tire well and fiber-glassing to make everything as stealth as possible, but sadly I ran into job issues with this economy... So it never got built.