kh2456

12 dB/octave or 24 slope for sub?

I'm about to purchase an amp for my ssa dcon and was wondering if a 12dB/octave slope would be sufficient on the low pass filter. I heard many people having a 24dB/octave slope and keeping it that way for their subs. My high pass filter is 12dB by the way. Any thoughts??

It's fine.

Well i know it's fine, but i'm wondering if 24 slope would be better. I'm looking at 2 amps and one has a 12 dB and the other has a 24dB so I'm trying to decide which one to get.

Do not base your amplifier purchase on the crossover slope.

It's fine.

Well i know it's fine, but i'm wondering if 24 slope would be better. I'm looking at 2 amps and one has a 12 dB and the other has a 24dB so I'm trying to decide which one to get.

It's not "better" its just a steeper slope. The sub will roll off quicker with the 24db slope.

If you cross it at 80hz, for example, with the 24db slope it will be quieter at 90hz than it would be with the 12db slope. If you want the sub to roll off very quickly then you want the steeper slope. It just depends on what you prefer.

If the only crossover I had was in the amplifier then I would definitely use the crossover features (including slope) as one of the determining factors on which amplifier to buy.

I feel that steep slopes are to be used to protect tweeter damage when used at lower than recommended frequencies. Driver selection and placement should be consisted first. Using a low pass filter with 24db/octave slope on a subwoofer really isnt beneficial for anything. Depending on the install, a 24db slope may prevent a good blend with midbass drivers and prevent the bass from not sounding locatable.

I would not use a 24db/octave slope on a subwoofer or any driver unless absolutely needed.

Ultimitley it depends on your listening goals.

I don't think you will really be able to audibly hear the difference between the two in sub bass frequencies.

Good read on crossover slopes .... http://www.linkwitzl.../crossovers.htm

Aw cmon you know they never listen to "you won't be able to hear the difference."

That is why I posted the link!

If the only crossover I had was in the amplifier then I would definitely use the crossover features (including slope) as one of the determining factors on which amplifier to buy.

I feel that steep slopes are to be used to protect tweeter damage when used at lower than recommended frequencies. Driver selection and placement should be consisted first. Using a low pass filter with 24db/octave slope on a subwoofer really isnt beneficial for anything. Depending on the install, a 24db slope may prevent a good blend with midbass drivers and prevent the bass from not sounding locatable.

I would not use a 24db/octave slope on a subwoofer or any driver unless absolutely needed.

Ultimitley it depends on your listening goals.

Awesome. Thanks for the clear explanation.