Sign in to follow this  
ctmaudi

New Car, New Stuff, Have A Few Questions

Im picking up a new 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited hatcback tomorrow or Thursday. Getting it loaded with nav, so I dont want to swap out the HU. Never did any audio stuff with a stock HU, so not sure what I should get. Do I get line out converters, or 3way crossover? I was looking at the Lanzar Vibe X6, for $35. Wondering if its cheap for a reason.

Im going to be swapping out the front speakers with Crescendo CCX65s, filling in the rear with Crescendo Pro Audio mids, and want to put my Havoc 12 in the back. I have a MBQuart ONX 4.80 and 1500.1D (plan to get the new Crescendo 1100C4 at some point). Might also run XST2 super tweeters as well if they will fit in the dash.

First up, not sure what I need or should get to hook it all up. Also, aside from Big3 and HC600, not sure if the stock electrical could take it all. I dont know what the stock alt is rated for, and cant seem to find it anywhere online since the car is too new. Im thinking I may resort to just running the CCX65s and the sub, with the 1100C4 (bridged rear channels for sub, would be way under powered though).

The box I have for the Havoc I built, and is 2.25cu ft ~30hz. Sounds and works great, but is huge and heavy (double baffle and double back for mounting amps to it without putting holes in the internal part of it). In the Altima I had it in, within 7 months or so, the weight destroyed the rear tires (back of car was a good 1.5-2in lower). The Subaru is a hatchback, and it should sit more over the rear springs rather then way back in a trunk. Should I be worried about it at all and build a new lighter box? Also was giving thought to a single weaker but more efficient 10, or two 8s. I also have a RE SR12 in a sealed box thats not too bad, but no where near the output of the Havoc.

Have a chance to start from scratch, and want to do it right once. Any tips would help.

Im picking up a new 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited hatcback tomorrow or Thursday. Getting it loaded with nav, so I dont want to swap out the HU. Never did any audio stuff with a stock HU, so not sure what I should get. Do I get line out converters, or 3way crossover? I was looking at the Lanzar Vibe X6, for $35. Wondering if its cheap for a reason.

Im going to be swapping out the front speakers with Crescendo CCX65s, filling in the rear with Crescendo Pro Audio mids, and want to put my Havoc 12 in the back. I have a MBQuart ONX 4.80 and 1500.1D (plan to get the new Crescendo 1100C4 at some point). Might also run XST2 super tweeters as well if they will fit in the dash.

First up, not sure what I need or should get to hook it all up. Also, aside from Big3 and HC600, not sure if the stock electrical could take it all. I dont know what the stock alt is rated for, and cant seem to find it anywhere online since the car is too new. Im thinking I may resort to just running the CCX65s and the sub, with the 1100C4 (bridged rear channels for sub, would be way under powered though).

The box I have for the Havoc I built, and is 2.25cu ft ~30hz. Sounds and works great, but is huge and heavy (double baffle and double back for mounting amps to it without putting holes in the internal part of it). In the Altima I had it in, within 7 months or so, the weight destroyed the rear tires (back of car was a good 1.5-2in lower). The Subaru is a hatchback, and it should sit more over the rear springs rather then way back in a trunk. Should I be worried about it at all and build a new lighter box? Also was giving thought to a single weaker but more efficient 10, or two 8s. I also have a RE SR12 in a sealed box thats not too bad, but no where near the output of the Havoc.

Have a chance to start from scratch, and want to do it right once. Any tips would help.

Let me start by saying congrats on the new car! If I were you I would keep the havoc and amps, and possibly build a new box made of birch(to save on weight). As far as the rest goes if you post a budget we can help you choose a nice front stage.

Let me start by saying congrats on the new car! If I were you I would keep the havoc and amps, and possibly build a new box made of birch(to save on weight). As far as the rest goes if you post a budget we can help you choose a nice front stage.

I already have the CCX65s and really like them. I was going to get the PA mids since they are cheap and should add a bit more mid bass as well, but thats just a maybe right now.

Current budget is, work with what Ive got, and limited for getting what I need to make it work. At least untill I sell the HU I was using, and probably the RE and the 4.80.

If I can get what I need to make the stock HU work for under $50 then great. If I need up to $100 to get something better, then fine. Anything more then that will have to wait a month, but Ill gladly do it. Like I said, Id like to do it once the right way, and be happy with it.

Looks like I take delivery tomorrow. Can someone suggest something for using multiple amps off the stock HU?

Id ask the dealer about the alt amperage, they should be able to find out.

I think your best bet would be an external crossover, but with a vehicle that new you and wanting to retain the factory H/U you will more than likely need some sort of factory integration

Looks nice, but a bit more then I wanted to spend, and I dont need the 8 outputs or aux in. How about this one, 6 channels would be perfect, and seems to have good reviews.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6359_AudioControl-LC6i-Gray-LC6.html

So Im guessing I cut in to the factory harness, and run the speaker wires to it, then my RCAs from it to the amps and its good to go?

Also, the factory HU is very nice. I believe its Pioneer made, and has delayed time alignment, 7 or 9 way EQ (I forget which, might even be more then that), distance settings and car type, etc...

Edited by ctmaudi

Looks like the stock alt is 90 amps. Definitly not going to be pushing 2k watts off that.

I think Im going to sell my MB Quart amps and a get the Crescendo 1100C4. Run the CCX65s and PA mids off the front channels, and bridge the rears for up to 500w to a sub.

Would the RE SR 12 or AA Havoc be better off 400-500w? Ive got the RE SR in a .75cu sealed box, and have been giving it about 250w and its ok but needs more power for sure. I love the sound and how low the AA gets, but thats with the 2.25 box and 1kw.

Had the car a couple days now. The stock speakers really arent too bad at all. Im thinking maybe Ill pass on the front stage at least for now, and just add a sub to the stock setup. Figure that will clear up some stress not running a 4chan amp, and Ill send about 700w or so to the Havoc. I might get a smaller box still though, not sure yet.

Is there a real difference in line out converters? I have one of these already,

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4993_Scosche-SLC-4.html

Any reason I should spend ~$150 on a better unit, or will that generally serve the same purpose?