ShagggDiesel

Mounting external aero ports

I'm going to be building a small aero ported box for a friend soon, but he doesn't want to spend the extra few dollars to buy real aero's. He wants to go with just straight PVC pipe instead. Yes, I explained port noise and the advantages of having flared ports. Anyway, what's the best way to mount PVC pipe externally on a box? There's no flare to screw into the wood, only a straight pipe to sit inside the cutout. I'm having trouble trying to figure out the most stable and secure way of attaching the PVC. Thoughts?

I screwed and glued mine to the baffle. Countersink your holes so the screws are flush with the id. Then fill smooth with caulk.

0130121707.jpg

Thanks for your suggestion. My problem is that the port is external, so there's no way to drill into the baffle from the inside of the port, and the box is already assembled. The sub opening is too small to even fit a drill down into.

What about using small L-Brackets and glue? Then caulking the surround?

Maybe try using electrical tape to wrap the pipe until it is snug with the hole, then coat with gorilla glue and stick it in

The glue expands to fill voids, worked for me on internal PVC pipes

Maybe try using electrical tape to wrap the pipe until it is snug with the hole, then coat with gorilla glue and stick it in

Do you think Titebond would suffice? Or is there some sort of special expansion that comes from GG?

Do you think Titebond would suffice? Or is there some sort of special expansion that comes from GG?

Definitely use GG, regular would glue does not expand like GG and i dont believe wood glue would even bond to pvc or electrical tape

Btw i did this for a box for 1 12

Definitely use GG, regular would glue does not expand like GG and i dont believe wood glue would even bond to pvc or electrical tape

Awesome, I'll give this a try. Thanks!

Np man

What subs are going in the box?

Np man

What subs are going in the box?

It's actually for a 6" HT sub (Sony SS-WS74). The box is entirely too large for this driver, but it's what he wanted. .67cft with a 3" external aero port tuned to 33hz. The sub is around 150 watts RMS though, and has a beefy ass motor. I'm curious to see how it sounds. Honestly, I think he should let me make a removable baffle for like a single 8 or 10, and get a PVC connector to adjust the port length and use it for an SPL box.. haha.