Briggiboy33

6x9 help needed!

Alright well I have a very low budget for all door speakers and some bass... I definatley need the 5.25 door speakers. And I can't decide to either get 2 12s and leave my 6x9s out so it's just holes there. Or should I amp a set of 6x9s and no subs? My budget it around 400 for everything, speakers wires amps everything... It's all going in a 98 olds mobile alero. Thanks for any help you can give!

i drive an olds intrigue which is pretty similar to the alero i think.. i would take the doors off and see if you can fit a larger set of speakers in the front door. 6.5" would be best because generally they can produce more midbass then a 5.25.

with your budget i would focus on front speakers only, speaker amp, sub, and sub amp.

here is an idea of what such a system could consist of. im not necessarily making recommendations. you could save even more cash if you bought used gear.

front doors:

6" pheonix gold rsd components - $100 (or the 5.25s for 90)

Sub:

SSA Dcon (which ever size you want to go with!) ~$100-140

can you build your own box?

Amp: 2 options, both would work very well.

cadence 600-4 ~150

http://www.ebay.com/...b#ht_4991wt_954

Precision power p900-4 $190

http://www.sonicelec...wer-P900.4.html

you would run the components on the front channels 1/2 and bridge 3/4 to the sub (order a single 4 ohm coil in this case)

wiring kit:

cadence 4 gauge kit ~40

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_3835wt_1139

Edited by lithium

Iv never re wired a door for an amp. But I think I could do that. And iv never used components either. I'm pretty new to this but thank you for that advice! I was def going in the wrong direction...

Iv never re wired a door for an amp. But I think I could do that. And iv never used components either. I'm pretty new to this but thank you for that advice! I was def going in the wrong direction...

All very easy to do and you get that sense of pride and accomplishment when you do it yourself, not to mention the greenbacks kept in your ass pocket.

So can anyone recomend some good components for just the front door? I was actuly not planning to amp the doors... So I want one pair of components.. And what sub or subs should I go with? One 15"? In the trunk... Any recommendations on a nice cheap low powered sub would be great! Thank you for anyhelp you can give

So can anyone recomend some good components for just the front door? I was actuly not planning to amp the doors... So I want one pair of components.. And what sub or subs should I go with? One 15"? In the trunk... Any recommendations on a nice cheap low powered sub would be great! Thank you for anyhelp you can give

how much trunk space do you plan to give up for the subwoofer enclosure? based on that you would pick which size subwoofer you can go with. SSA Dcon would be a great choice for sub. When running less power you can gain some output by using a larger size subwoofer. So if you could fit a 15" Dcon in it's proper ported enclosure then i would go that route.

Do you have the tools to build your own box? Even if you haven't built a box before its rather simple so anyone with some basic wood working skills could help you do it correctly.

for comps there's the pheonix gold rsd 6.5", 6", or 5.25" set

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=phoenix+gold+rsd+&_sacat=See-All-Categories#item1e5d7574b9

you could also check out the Incriminator audio components sold on the SSA store as well.

there's a simlar tread in this subforum on the same topic of cheap component speakers recently, i think the OP went with the Incriminator audio comps. the unfortunate thing about coming to a decision on any particular set of speakers is that you dont get to hear the speakers before you buy them. i encourage you to go out and listen to some speakers at any local shops, etc. i caution that listening to speakers installed on a wall is not an accurate way to demo the performance of the speaker when installed in a car. however, you can still determine if you like the particular quality of the tweeter (general characteristic of the tweeter, soft or hard/metal).

The pg comp set has a low sensitivity rating and makes me think it wouldn't be that good without an amp.. I know everyone here is all about American made audio. And I will most likely get the Dcon and hopefully make my own box. But I guess I'm asking about other component sets. Not just American made..

The pg comp set has a low sensitivity rating and makes me think it wouldn't be that good without an amp.. I know everyone here is all about American made audio. And I will most likely get the Dcon and hopefully make my own box. But I guess I'm asking about other component sets. Not just American made..

thats why i recommended a 4 channel amp to you, front 2 channels on the components and the other 2 channels bridged to the dcon. well within your budget.

if you not willing to amp the speakers then get some cheap coax. no point in spending 100 on components if your not going to amp them.