ou812

Even more impressed

My son and I just got done swapping out amps to power my original Blue dust cap Icon 10. It was being powered by a Zed built Usacoustics USA2150 bridged and rated at 500 watts. I acquired an ESX 275.2 and honestly...I wasn't expecting a huge difference. We have the d2 Icon running bridged mode on the ESX. The rating for bridged mode is 825 watts.

Quick rundown of the system.....

HU- Eclipse CD8454 running 2 way active.

Tweet amp- Usacoustics USA 2100 powering a set of Vifa XT25 ring radiators

Mid amp- Usacoustics USA2150 powering a set of ID OEM's in a heavily dampened set of doors

Sub amp as mentioned is an ESX 275.2 powering the Original blue cap Icon 10. The sub is in a box we built from the posted box diagrams here which I want to ad are fantastic.

The setup is in an 04 Explorer. Not a small compact car by a long shot. Quite a bit of cabin to fill. The system sounded really good before but I found myself really dialing back my front stage because I didn't have enough bass to match the front stage. Well I more than have that now. It has changed the sound of my system entirely...At least it sounds like it to me. Sub is running up to 63 hz with a 24 db slope. Mids pick up there at 63 with the same slope and go up to 2.5with an 18 db slope. Tweets are crossed at 3.15 with a 24 db slope.

We kept the everything crossover wise and slope but readjusted the levels to match up to the extra power on the sub. It's kinda strange to me how much better the sub is blending with the front stage now. It sounded great before but now...Holy $hit! I know the sub is back there because it sounds like my rear glass is gonna break but it pounds without localizing nearly as much as before.

I just can't say enough good things about this sub. a powerhouse sq driver is hard to find....I found mine.

That is WONDERFUL to hear. Still from 2007, sounding great and getting it done. Now the question is, what is happening with your USA2150? ;)

Try an updated Icon... When you thought it couldn't get any better... It did..

That is WONDERFUL to hear. Still from 2007, sounding great and getting it done. Now the question is, what is happening with your USA2150? wink.png

I knew someone would ask....I had my mids running off a Usacoustics 4050 bridged in 2 channel mode. I was never really crazy about doing that. If you ever look at an original manual for those amps Mantz dances around telling you how to wire it the right way. Do you y plug channels 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 or 1 and 3 and 2 and 4? Anyway.....The 4050 is now my son's again....And the 2150 is now on my mids.

Would it really? I am thinking along the lines of a 12 and a new Icon would be my first thought. However the Icon I have is in pristine condition and I have no reason to want or need to replace it.My son bought the Icon I have here and get a hell of a deal. I can'[t remember who he bought it from but I know there is a Youtube vid of the original owners car that had 3 tens in it. He took very good care of his equipment.

Would it really? I am thinking along the lines of a 12 and a new Icon would be my first thought. However the Icon I have is in pristine condition and I have no reason to want or need to replace it.My son bought the Icon I have here and get a hell of a deal. I can'[t remember who he bought it from but I know there is a Youtube vid of the original owners car that had 3 tens in it. He took very good care of his equipment.

I would not doubt it, Mark and Aaron have doe a lot of changes since the first gen Icon, I would not upgrade unless you had to.

I would not doubt it, Mark and Aaron have doe a lot of changes since the first gen Icon, I would not upgrade unless you had to.

I was thinking along the same lines....A company like SSA is always going to find ways to improve. But....What I have works great. If and when I need to upgrade a new Icon will be mine. Understand...the wife isn't crazy about a semi old man like myself still having a fascination with car audio.

I was thinking along the same lines....A company like SSA is always going to find ways to improve. But....What I have works great. If and when I need to upgrade a new Icon will be mine. Understand...the wife isn't crazy about a semi old man like myself still having a fascination with car audio.

Yep, I hear the same thing from my wife.

I believe that was Cory's car. Great guy. The original Icon could still be my favorite. It is a little more finesse then the 2012 Icon, and was more efficient then the 2012 Icon. If you are happy with the original Icon, KEEP IT!!! Haha, I am the worst damn salesman, but yes, if you love it and it is getting it done, zero reason to change it.

Side note: The upcoming Gcon, will be fairly close to the original Icon in terms of behavior, sound and enclosure preferences, with a little less power handling.

I believe that was Cory's car. Great guy. The original Icon could still be my favorite. It is a little more finesse then the 2012 Icon, and was more efficient then the 2012 Icon. If you are happy with the original Icon, KEEP IT!!! Haha, I am the worst damn salesman, but yes, if you love it and it is getting it done, zero reason to change it.

Side note: The upcoming Gcon, will be fairly close to the original Icon in terms of behavior, sound and enclosure preferences, with a little less power handling.

I like that though...You're honest. I'm gonna need a few weeks of tweaking to really see where I'm at. Where I'm at as far as level matching. I think I might have found my sweet spot...That is the sweet spot just between getting really loud...sounding great and still keeping my hearing. I don't know how you guys ride around with a couple thousand watts on tap.