Micah Horton

Dcon 15 install, my first taste of ssa.

I really don't think the sub or amp isat fault here. I have a feeling that something just isnt set right or something is missing. Have you checked all RCA connections? You could always get an oscope and see if turning the sub control up is actually sending a distorted signal, I think? Maybe that's just for setting the gain on the amp.. It seems it would work in the same concept though.

If he has his amp setup up correctly now, then he needs to asdjust the sub level control. Regardless what has been said, most units require the use of this to be off of zero to produce voltage.

Lol. So my pictures are fake and I made up the manual?

He never said any of that. Just stated that most units need to be higher than 0 to produce voltage. My sub leven on my deck is from 0-12, I currently have it set to 11. At 0 there is no output, no matter what my amp gain is set at.

It sounds to me as if you're thinking of the subwoofer level as a "bass boost", in which case would be a bad idea to turn up. However; it is just a level control. Set the level to Max, set the gains on the amp with that setting, and let that Dcon wang.

I really don't think the sub or amp isat fault here. I have a feeling that something just isnt set right or something is missing. Have you checked all RCA connections? You could always get an oscope and see if turning the sub control up is actually sending a distorted signal, I think? Maybe that's just for setting the gain on the amp.. It seems it would work in the same concept though.

If he has his amp setup up correctly now, then he needs to asdjust the sub level control. Regardless what has been said, most units require the use of this to be off of zero to produce voltage.

I never said your pics or setup was fake. I am however stating a fact that is being over looked because you continue to intrude on the conversation with only having general knowledge of your setup(or similar setups). If we were discussing a unit the same as yours then I would agree and say that setting to 0 should be the best option as your unit does not have a sub level control it actually has a bass boost instead and should not be used.

So back to the topic, for his setup he needs to use the sub level control to adjust his RCA voltage out. If you like I can pull out some units and DMM to show how it works. I see no reason though as this is fairly straight forward. I do not suggest setting it to the max though. Most units actually produce max volts at about 80% level on the sub out side.

Edited by pro-rabbit

I never said your pics or setup was fake. I am however stating a fact that is being over looked because you continue to intrude on the conversation with only having general knowledge of your setup(or similar setups). If we were discussing a unit the same as yours then I would agree and say that setting to 0 should be the best option as your unit does not have a sub level control it actually has a bass boost instead and should not be used.

So back to the topic, for his setup he needs to use the sub level control to adjust his RCA voltage out. If you like I can pull out some units and DMM to show how it works. I see no reason though as this is fairly straight forward. I do not suggest setting it to the max though. Most units actually produce max volts at about 80% level on the sub out side.

Again you talk before knowing the facts. The KDC-X994 does indeed have a subwoofer level control. I do not know why this is so difficult for you to grasp. Looks like my "general knowledge" is better than your asssumptions. Doesn't look like you are the car audio guru you thought you were.

It sounds to me as if you're thinking of the subwoofer level as a "bass boost", in which case would be a bad idea to turn up. However; it is just a level control. Set the level to Max, set the gains on the amp with that setting, and let that Dcon wang.

This!!

Just as I said. Set the sub level on the deck to max, then set amp gains. The sub level on the deck will not send a clipped signal, only when you turn you volume up past that 75-80% range. Then it will be clipped regardless were it is.

It's only a level control, same as a level control knob that comes with a sundown amp. Turn that bish up, then set the gains on amp!

Edited by swift

you guys are giving me awesome guru information. but truth is the MANUAL that came with the amp says set the gain, "input level", at max when using with a deck with subwoofer level control. that is why i am confused.

you guys are giving me awesome guru information. but truth is the MANUAL that came with the amp says set the gain, "input level", at max when using with a deck with subwoofer level control. that is why i am confused.

Here is a good post on setting up your amplifier gain. A DVM is a good tool to have if you do not have one.

i know how to set my gain, thats my point i have never seen an amps manual say turn it all the way up

Maybe it's saying to set the gain in the opposote way you normally would. Set the "input level" all the way up, turn your HU volume to your max listening level, then adjust the subwoofer level control to set the output voltage to the amp. You'd be using the subwoofer level to set the gain as opposed to setting the gain on the amp after setting the subwoofer level first. You could do it either way.. I'm just assuming that's what the manual is trying to say.