hondakilla98

How to port through the rear deck and what size aero Ports?

I'm almost up and running with 2 sa10's on a sundown saz-1500d @1ohm in my Lincoln. I have a box I built for my Cadillac, that is 2.5 cubes with 40 sq in of port area with a slot port. I'm going to run this for now, down in the well of the trunk. Here's a pic.

20120310_194059.jpg

I want to build a new box that sits on the hump behind the seat. I'm not going to run rear fill or the factory sub. So I will have two 6x9 holes on each side and a sub hole that is 6-8" in the middle. First question is what size aeros to run. Will 2-4" or 1-6" be enough port area? Or maybe 3-4"?

Second question, how to port through the rear deck? The box will be 10.5" tall and the bottom of the rear deck is about 16". Do I just place the Ports under the holes and call it good? Or run the Ports up to the rear deck and have them try to blow through the factory carpet? Or cut holes in the carpet, run the Ports up to the deck to blow through and put grills over them so it looks like 1-3 speakers on the rear deck. Depending on how many Ports I run.

The only way to effectively port through the rear deck its to have the subs sealed from the trunk as well. Might be best just to keep the box like you have it.

I found that removing a decent amount of the rear deck metal improved in-cabin spl greatly.

It's all about how the woofers load and where the air is going to go. I personally have had many trunk systems, and the present system is my 3rd setup porting through the rear deck. I did not and would not recommend porting through the rear deck unless you face your subs forward into the cabin, and seal off the box from the trunk. If you don't do this, you will lose more than half of your output easily because the woofers will not load properly. The woofers will be exciting the air in the trunk, and the port will be firing into the car, they won't be working together.

Best systems in the trunk are port and woofers facing backward, don't change anything unless your box is so big that you are choking the air trying to get from the trunk, around box, and into the cabin. bigjon has a towncar, he could also help you by chiming in.

Oh, one way to do it that I have seen as successful, would be to build a bandbass box with the ports firing through the rear deck, I have seen that work quite nicely. and IMO I'd use two aero ports if you decide to go that route, one for each 6x9 opening, or idealy custom fab your rear deck and do a larger single rectangular port.

Cosmetically I would use the factory sub hole in the center.

I agree with MJmarovi about loosing output if the woofers fire back into the trunk. If I were to do something similar in my vic, id do a bandpass and either port it thru the factory holes in the rear deck vertically, or cut the metal bracing behind the center seat and port through your fold down arm rest.

Cosmetically I would use the factory sub hole in the center.

I agree with MJmarovi about loosing output if the woofers fire back into the trunk. If I were to do something similar in my vic, id do a bandpass and either port it thru the factory holes in the rear deck vertically, or cut the metal bracing behind the center seat and port through your fold down arm rest.

If you do go bandpass, make sure port is not linear to the woofers, in other words I wouldn't recommend the armrest, go with the vertical option, it just generally seems to work better, woofers load more efficiently, couldn't tell you the exact science.

it sounds like you guys are suggesting a 4th order box for him ?

4th orders are pretty big, dont think you have a chance at 2 10's 4th order, in that space, would be nice to try,

i have offten thought of trying to make an L port into the cabin for my set up... but i cant seem to work the length for music tuning, and people tell me it would have cancellation

issues ..... but my biggest problem is space.amps batteries. box and subs.

hope to see you work up a good plan,

as far as the arm rest port idea,.

it not like a normal car, in the trunk the gas tank divides the cabin from the trunk.. for sound killing reasons,. so the trunk is high behind the seats. and thee is maybe 3 inchs max . of space. in the arm rest area for a port

for maximum sound into the car with the equipment you have you should remove the factory sound vynal that black lining that goes under the back seat .. then up to the headrest in the rear.. and that will help alot!

Can someone give me a rough idea on how big a bandpass setup would be for 2 sa10's? I'm interested, but doubtful.

On a positive note, I'm up and running with my ported setup. Output isn't bad, definitely more than the stock speakers can keep up with. Now I'm going to remove the factory sub, which will open up a decent sized hole in the rear deck and I'm going to cut the OEM MLV from the gas tank up, to help with transfer.

Depending on how it sounds with these small changes I may just run sub back and port back with the OEM sub and 6x9 holes open.