R3ap3R

Help/ Advice sub suddenly crapped out

As soon as a do a clipped burp or two, I can smell the coils. Clipping does induce heat. Duran, burp a square wave.

I've burped a square 30hz wave as previously stated. Didn't even get warm. That was over the drivers rms also. 3 30 sec burps back to back just so I could read the score of each.

As soon as a do a clipped burp or two, I can smell the coils. Clipping does induce heat. Duran, burp a square wave.

I've burped a square 30hz wave as previously stated. Didn't even get warm. That was over the drivers rms also. 3 30 sec burps back to back just so I could read the score of each.

You have HDC's right? Those are known for being underrated and having high inductance (steep impedance rise). Was it clamped?

same thing happen to one of my N2 18s the coil just came unwrapped.... someone getting little skimpy over there at fi with the glue?? lol

then again i dont think he was putting a hell of alot of power to his sub lolol two dc 5ks tongue.png

that was on 5k to each BTL... thing is i used to run BL 18s like 2 years ago and had a JBL crown a6000gti on them for 7 months without issues.. they were rated like 1500rms i was puttin like 3k to each

I've played an aq hdc3 on a fully clipped 1000rms at 30hz. Never got warm or smelled or anything. So what's the difference of a 2500rms sub taking 1200rms fully clipped? I would hope 1600 watts wouldn't burn a btl up sad.png

i think he said he had a bl but none the less im sure it should be able to take that amp np..

same thing happen to one of my N2 18s the coil just came unwrapped.... someone getting little skimpy over there at fi with the glue?? lol

then again i dont think he was putting a hell of alot of power to his sub lolol two dc 5ks tongue.png

I've played an aq hdc3 on a fully clipped 1000rms at 30hz. Never got warm or smelled or anything. So what's the difference of a 2500rms sub taking 1200rms fully clipped? I would hope 1600 watts wouldn't burn a btl up sad.png

i think he said he had a bl but none the less im sure it should be able to take that amp np..

You severely misinterpreted what I said.

so from what some of you are saying the power of my amp probably couldnt ruine my woofer even if the gains were set up wrong.... for the most part.

the woofer never really got warmed up with that amp and iv never smelled that "bad smell" on this woofer yet either.... it's been a very good woofer to me.

was it just a matter of the glue giving away, at no ones falt (either mine or the company)?

for the record my bass did not sound distorted in any way from my ear and pretty sure all my settings on the amp were at an exceptable lvl .

thanks for all your input it helps alot. as of this moment i am waiting on a quote from PSI for a recone. would you guys go with a Fi recone or PSI, just wondering.

so from what some of you are saying the power of my amp probably couldnt ruine my woofer even if the gains were set up wrong.... for the most part.

the woofer never really got warmed up with that amp and iv never smelled that "bad smell" on this woofer yet either.... it's been a very good woofer to me.

was it just a matter of the glue giving away, at no ones falt (either mine or the company)?

for the record my bass did not sound distorted in any way from my ear and pretty sure all my settings on the amp were at an exceptable lvl .

thanks for all your input it helps alot. as of this moment i am waiting on a quote from PSI for a recone. would you guys go with a Fi recone or PSI, just wondering.

ive heard good things a bad things u never know thou... give em a try and if they fail faster than the Fi dont get em again... PSI is little pricey from what ive heard and quotes i have got... its up to u man everyone whos nut hugs there fav. company is gonna talk crap about the others..

Edited by jesseadkins187

I recommend you never use a PSI recone.

I know 3 people that have psi recones and that's a total of 6 woofers that never had a problem. Don't let one bad thing scare you off of psi. They are all over Mississippi.

Why in the hell would you even want to have your Fi subwoofer reconed by PSI?

Send it to Fi. Get it reconed properly with the original parts.