Venomized

Need a little direction

I am currently getting ready to purchase equipment for my new setup. I have decided to utilize 3 SA8s and need to know what everyone would suggest for an amp. Not sure on whether Im going d2 or d4 yet so give suggestions based on both coils please.

Edited by Venomized

The only limiting factor is your budget. There are so many amps available you can literally just pick whatever one fits your budget and power levels.

Im not going to cheap out on this so give me options

I can't. It depends on what power you want, what looks you want, what price you want, etc. . . I mean there are literally hundreds of options.

haha.

I was looking at the Sundown amps but idk.

Sundown makes good shit.

Ok plans changed and I think Im going back to 2 SA8 D4s with an SAX1000D and add another SAX1000D soon after

why?

why what??

Why are you using one less driver, and one more amp?

Your asking for help, but haven't specified your goals, budget, or space restrictions either.

Edited by stefanhinote

North? :)

Well I decided 2 ought to be enough for me. My goal is to have something I can listen to on a daily basis yet still get loud with. I dont compete or anything (but would like to get back into it). The car I am using for this is a 1995 Mustang GT. I have the whole trunk (rear seat HAS to be kept and useable for the kids) Im planning the amp rack in the spare tire well and sub box will be rear or down firing and ported (still have yet to choose slot or normal port) I wont be using any rear speakers so its from floor to shelf for space.

I'd opt for cone area over power since it sounds like you have plenty of space, it would certainly be cheaper.

I find myself aggreeing with Stefan again. Cone area over power any day of the week. Actually I would go one step further and do two 12" SSA Dcons with that Sundown 1000d, especially if you can use the whole trunk.

Hmmm so 3 SA8s and a single SD SAX1000D? If theyre 400 rms then i dont think theres enough power out of that 1 amp for all of them.

I have already started with the spare tire well. Cut the shape of the OEM cover out of 3/4 MDF and cut all the spare securing bracing out making room for the amp rack.

Its a cell phone pic so dont mind please lol

1333140046.jpg

Edited by Venomized

Hmmm so 3 SA8s and a single SD SAX1000D? If theyre 400 rms then i dont think theres enough power out of that 1 amp for all of them.

Don't get caught up with matching speakers' rms values to your amplifier's rating.

3 sa8s on that amp would be nice, or even 2 sa12s.

Id like to stick to the 8s. I have 2 kappa perfect 12 VQ in the there now running off of a Rockford Fosgate Power 500a2 (black and grind series) and I like them but i wanna change it up a little and have heard great things about the SA8s and what they can actually do.

Id like to stick to the 8s. I have 2 kappa perfect 12 VQ in the there now running off of a Rockford Fosgate Power 500a2 (black and grind series) and I like them but i wanna change it up a little and have heard great things about the SA8s and what they can actually do.

Everything I hear about the sa series is stellar, especially the sa8s. Can't go wrong either way. :)

What would you suggest for enclosure, slot or traditional round ports? Also rear firing or down firing?

Edited by Venomized

What would you suggest for enclosure, slot or traditional round ports? Also rear firing or down firing?

I've never played with trunks, so I'm not sure what firing orientation is best. Generally firing back seems to work well as a forum census.

Slot or round, either way. Slot is cheaper, just cutting more wood, but psp aeros are simple (but somewhat costly).

The flaring on the round aero ports reduces turbulence, so sometimes you can get away with less port area if your space restricted.

Ill worry about the ports once the box design is done. Right now I will get on getting the equipment to install. Thanks alot you helped immensely

Ill worry about the ports once the box design is done. Right now I will get on getting the equipment to install. Thanks alot you helped immensely

No problem.

Sundown recommends: "0.5-0.75 ft^3 @ 35hz" per sa8. Each driver has a displacement of 0.08 ft^3

So 3x0.5 to 3x0.75 + 3x0.08 = 1.75 ft^3 to 2.5 ft^3

So try to and shoot for the volume of the enclosure between 1.75 ft^3 and 2.5 ft^3 before the port displacement.

*The larger enclosure will yield an increase in efficiency, but that doesn't necessarily mean the extra 0.75 ft^3 will make a huge difference either in this situation.

Start a build log once you get the stuff in, and cutting away. smile.png

Edited by stefanhinote

I just completed my trunk build with the same type of equipment. I did a SAX-1200d with two SA-10D4s. The box was designed by PWK. It is a slot ported enclosure tuned to 34Hz. It really shakes the pakage tray on the lows, but the bass response is real smooth throughout the entire bass range. I am very happy with the sound from my Jetta.

I will do stefan. Its definately gonna be a journey for sure.