Sign in to follow this  

can any one tell me if i get a head unit that has video input feeds can i wire a "BACK-UP" camera to stay on and work as a "REAR VIEW" mirror on my head unit???

sure you can..

next ? sholud i wire it to the ignition turn on

you should use a relay.. but first you need to select a head unit that will allow you to bypass the the rear view option to make it full time... or.. fise a AVI indash that will allow you to mod the E break switch so that you can view video full time....

i had it on a old pioneer pop out

these are the head units i was looking at

Power Acoustik PTID-8920B

or

Pyle PLTS78DUB

these are the cameras i was thanking about getting

PYLE PLCM22IR

or

Koolertron Rear View License Plate Backup CMOS Camera

i know nothing of those units.. im not a PA fan... there are TONS of back up cams in alot of veriatys of install options... but .. in my experance.. when it comes to cams.. you get what you pay for...

so if you pick the cheapest one you can find.. you will get the worst results you can get...

also.. why are you doing this? do you have a wall?? or have you lost your rearview from bass?

building a wall

i have done the full time rear view from a friend before.... and it seems like a good idea in theory..

but full time... it normaly useless... your bass will make the cam wiggle around.. and even when you dont have the bass on when your going down the highway it jiggles around from road vibrations.... so in a parking lot or drive way while backing is pretty much the only time its useful.. in my experience that is.

just giving you a heads up...

okay thanks for the input and help very much appreciated

the law here in Colorado requires

42-4-226. Mirrors - exterior placements.

(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror or mirrors so located and so constructed as to reflect to the driver a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of such vehicle.

(2) Whenever any motor vehicle is not equipped with a rear window and rear side windows or has a rear window and rear side windows composed of, covered by, or treated with any material or component which, when viewed from the position of the driver, obstructs the rear view of the driver or makes such window or windows nontransparent, or whenever any motor vehicle is towing another vehicle or trailer or carrying any load or cargo or object which obstructs the rear view of the driver, such vehicle shall be equipped with an exterior mirror on each side so located with respect to the position of the driver as to comply with the visual requirement of subsection (1) of this section. This subsection (2) shall not apply to neighborhood electric vehicles.

(3) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2261, § 1, effective January 1, 1995. L. 97: (2) amended, p. 393, § 5, effective August 6.

Editor's note: This section was formerly numbered as 42-4-223 and the former section 42-4-226 was relocated to section 42-4-229.

Edited by SamuelHermon

if it were me, I would wire the turn on for the cam to a toggle switch. I'm pretty sure having it full time would mean accessing HU functions would be impossible. With a switch, you could turn it off to do stuff(i.e. switch songs, watch dvds, nav, etc.) and then flip it back on for a non-stop behind your car view