Sign in to follow this  
ExclusiveRA

Subwoofer Chirp

My subs chirp when my car is started but not when it is off but the head unit is on and i cannot figure out what it is. I checked the ground and that is good. Also, my power is good. Any ideas what it might be?

Edited by ExclusiveRA

Could be a bad ground at either the amp or the headunit.

Could be the timing of the components turning on.

Could be some other things.

What equipment do you have and how is it all wired?

Just to eliminate the amp as the problem, try unplugging the RCA's and see if it still happens.

So i disconnected the rca's and the chirping stops, so its not the amp. Im running the traditional set up. Power line connected to battery under the hood. Ground connected to metal in the trunk. 2 12s on a 2600 watt amp. The problem is though is that the subs play a kind of popping noise when the volume is low or at zero which is what i am noticing. But it only does it when the engine is running.

So it makes the noise all of the time when the car is running, and not just when starting the car?

Sounds like a ground issue. Just because you have it grounded to metal doesn't mean it's a solid ground depending on the return path. Also could be an issue with the ground at the headunit. Make sure all of your connections are good as well.

Follow the noise troubleshooting guide stickied in the amp section, should help you track down the noise.

What amp?

Are they good hIgh quality RCA cables?

Is there any noise in your main speakers?

Edited by BKOLFO4

The amp is a planet audio which I'm looking to upgrade and the rca's are cheap ones that came with a kit and the main speakers are not making the noise. Its just the subs that do it when the car is running. I tried messing around with it today i checked the ground for the head unit which was good and i reground the amp. Im almost convinced that it is the rca's because once the rca's are unplugged the noise stops. Any input will definitely help!

Edited by ExclusiveRA

Also when i looked at the amp one of the terminals and the wire had burned a little bit.. What could cause that?

That could have been just caused by the initial current the first time you connected the power/ground. Did you already have the power connected to the battery when you made the amp connections? What about while you were checking the grounds?

You could try a ground loop isolator. Plugs in line between the RCAs and the amp and keeps the RCA shields from being a ground path, which it sounds like is your problem.

Edited by BKOLFO4

It is not the best fix, but if it works, you know what the problem is. If it does not fix it, you may have a piece of faulty equipment.