Sign in to follow this  
harvester51

ssa icon

Hey everbody i have a small question i have a 12 in icon that ive had since about january and today when i was listing to it and it started to make a popping sound right where the dust caps at and only at hi volumes and i was wondering if anybody might know what it might be.

is it ported? what is your SSF set at? Gain setting? Leaks in the box??? Sub not screwed down well??? Sooooo many things

Yes its ported and the ssf is set at 28 i believe and i checked all the screws and there tight and we out another sub in to see if it was the box and ot wasnt

Sounds like a loose dustcap.

ahh... kicker amps are set at 25hz.... there is no changing that...

what is your box tuned at?

Its tuned to 32 and after looking at the speaker playing a little bit the dust cap is bending out on the right side of the sub really bad and i dont know what could have caused this to happen other than the low being set a little low.

any photos of it? I'm kinda not understanding what you're seeing... sry... But I'm also not the versed in damaged speakers/subs

Agreed, pics will help.

Sounds like the coil is venting through the spot where the dust cap has pulled loose on the "downstroke" and when the sub direction changes, the gap slams shut.

If this is the problem how would i fix this after lo.oking at the sub it doesnt look like theres anything abnormal about the sub

If that is in fact what the problem is, a small spot of CA glue or epoxy will take care of it. If that is what's going on, you need to fix it since the sub will partially unload on the downstroke. The other thing that can cause a popping sound is the former hitting the backplate. The dust cap leaking could lead to that being more likely.