Budah93

Speakers don't fit?

So I finally installed my cheap Rockford components (well tried too) and they don't fit. Every place on line says that my jimmy has 6.5s but these are just barely too big. So since I already have them do i need to buy different speaker housing or can i just cut out a circle of wood, glue it to the housing and then screw the speaker to that?

You can pretty much do anything of the such to put them on your door. i have seen people take circles of wood and like take fiberglass resin and form housing that comes out of the doors. And it looks pretty badass. You can also buy the plastic adapters for your doors to fit it into aswell. hope this helps!

You should ALWAYS use a baffle.

what is a baffle?

Simple put a mounting ring. Bolting speakers to the stock sheet metal is a TERRIBLE idea. Installation 101. It isn't an install if you slap them into the stock locations. I'd also say it isn't an install if you aren't deadening and fixing the issues with the door. Of course I don't consider piss poor an option.

i'm not going straight into the metal. There are blue speaker housings there they but the screw holes for the speakers a just slightly outside of the housing so right now I just screwed them at an angle so they fit for the time being. My deadening is on the way right now so should be here early next week

The stock speaker housings are not valid to use. Cheap floppy plastic is not a baffle.

so i can't just glue wood to that one?

M5 is right, those flimsy plastic mounting rings are NOT baffles. They're horrible to mount speakers to in the first place, add the extra weight of an aftermarket speaker motor structure and the extra force from more power (if you're amping them) and you have a recipe for horrible results, honestly. There's a ton of different ways to do it, I did mine like this in my 2001 Jimmy using the existing holes from the rivets that hold on the cheap plastic.

Here's where I cut out the base for the baffle. I just traced the factory plastic crap for the shape.

1017001343.jpg

1017001614.jpg

Working on the finish

0212021210.jpg

Finished and mounted in the door. I used the factory rivet holes but obviously used considerably heavier hardware than was required.

DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0124.jpg

Here's what it looks like complete.

DSCN0129.jpg

so i can't just glue wood to that one?

Because you don't want to. It will be a complete waste of time and will also not likely fit behind the door panel.

I don't have the tools to do that. I need a cheap solution that doesn't require alot of tools. They are gonna be powered but an alpine power pack because I don't want to buy an actual amp and it sounds pretty good for the price. anywhere i can buy something else that will fit?

You don't have to make them as elaborately as I did. A few minutes with a jigsaw can produce baffles adequate for what you're needing. If you can build boxes you can do baffles easy, they have 5 less sides! lol

i don't build my boxes and I would have no idea how to do a baffle

First check the inside and outside diameter to make sure it would work for your speaker and the required thickness you need for your speakers, before attempting to order.

Simply give it a coat of paint for weather protection, screw or bolt it to your door opening, then screw your speakers on to it.

Look at some build logs that have speaker installation, you would get a good idea.

wow that's really easy. So just check the mounting depth of my speakers and go from there?

Yep but measure accurately , just make sure the speaker dont hit the door cover (grill portion) infront and glass at the back (leave additional clearance infront for when the speaker is playing because it will move forward from it's resting position).

alright so i remove the existing blue baffle correct?

These are my speakers so will the ring posted work? i'm still a little confused

lol nothing seems simple enough

Who ties your shoes?

Seriously.

Measure the depth to make sure the motor won't hit the window (when down). Adjust baffle depth accordingly, and cut to shape.

If you can't figure that out, or don't have the tools, then pay a shop to do it.

The end.

Yes, I'm an asshole.