cmw5e

gcon or icon in a small 1.0 cu ft box

im wanting to try a new sub to get a little better sound quality. the box is right at 1.0 after port and sub displacement. i think 1.35 or 1.4 before. the problem is i only have 7 inches of mounting depth. i noticed the subs are built a little differently but each have the same mounting depth for the 10". mainly what im wanting to know is which sub would be better with the mounting depth i have.

The ICON will be better because it doesn't have a pole vent.

Pretty bad reason because the GCONs pole vent is plugged.

Pretty bad reason because the GCONs pole vent is plugged.

Thank you for pointing that out. Op disregard my post.

thats why i was asking because i couldnt remember if the pole vent could do better close to the end of the box or if it was the other way around. so gcon for my box?

thats why i was asking because i couldnt remember if the pole vent could do better close to the end of the box or if it was the other way around. so gcon for my box?

Either will work just fine, but the ICON will take a bit more power.

Your not going to get the best sound out of it with only 1 cubic foot.

What driver(s) do you have now? Just throwing a new driver in often times will NOT result in much of a change,especially without tailoring the application to the new driver, and with subwoofers, many many sound the same, so it's hard to get an increase in "SQ" when switching a sub.

my current setup is in my sig. what i was going to do over christmas was replace my current door speakers with components and hopefully add a different sub

I can't view sigs.

pioneer 7400hd

alpine type r coaxials

1 10" alpine type r in current box

precision power 1300.1

I can say, in my own opinion, that either the G or Icon will sound better than the TypeR, but I would no use either of them in that enclosure unless sealed. You can buy one and throw it in there to see how you like it and worst case scenario, plug the vent, but I would dp that personally anyways.

i probably have enough mdf left that i could build a sealed enclosure. as you said i may just try the current box out and if it doesnt work out just build a sealed box for one.

Or you can just seal up the vent on the one you have now.

what would i need to do just remove the baffle and circular port and cut another piece to go over the side that has the hole?

Or just cover the port with a board...

but since the box is too small i would assume the circular port in there would be taking up space so if i removed it frees up more airspace . .

ONce you seal it up, it will be negligible. You'd never hear a difference.

I would seal it up and run the Icon in there. I just put an Icon 10 in a 1.03 cu ft sealed box with a double baffle and some bracing in the back of my Accord 2dr and it sounds amazing. I thought about getting the Gcon, Im running 1K watts and I liked the idea of the Icon being rated for more than Im running. Id rather have something over-rated and leave myself with some headroom later, and peace of mind knowing Im not pushing it to its limits. Im sure either will sound great.

Also, great price on the ICON right now!

thats what im leaning toward doing. getting the icon and sealing the box and if im not happy with the results just build another box. id rather go for the better sub with room to improve the box instead of going with a lower line sub, kind of what i did on the last purchase haha

Either sub woofer is an excellent choice, yes my POV is biased, but I like them sealed. It is worth building a proper enclosure for which ever sub woofer you choose.